What on earth? Why arnt they all black???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your buck looks like a seal (double sable) but he couldn't throw red then. An american sable
images

Unless he's a shagouti. Sable with an agouti gene.

This color is what you get when you breed a red to a black. Or sometimes a black to a white.That is for the parents colors. Now breeding both rabbits that carry differnt color of genes ,you are going to get. black(which will develope brown ticking in the fur as it gets older) red that is going to be more on the brown, orange color. And white. If you want black. YOu need pure black with pure black. Nothing else in the background and for that you have to go to a good breeder.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":bmqrpq28 said:
This color is what you get when you breed a red to a black. Or sometimes a black to a white.That is for the parents colors. Now breeding both rabbits that carry differnt color of genes ,you are going to get. black(which will develope brown ticking in the fur as it gets older) red that is going to be more on the brown, orange color. And white. If you want black. YOu need pure black with pure black. Nothing else in the background and for that you have to go to a good breeder.

But where does the black come from? And is it ever pure black or does it always have brown ticking? We did just buy two does from a breeder down past Orlando and they look a very nice black but without a true black buck, how will I get true black babies?

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":1c7ct56e said:
This color is what you get when you breed a red to a black. Or sometimes a black to a white.

I'm glad you knew, Mary Ann, because I was thinking they must not be pure NZ's. So basically, you want to keep all three colors separate, almost like having 3 distinct breeds?

MamaSheepdog":d2j15249 said:
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":d2j15249 said:
This color is what you get when you breed a red to a black. Or sometimes a black to a white.

I'm glad you knew, Mary Ann, because I was thinking they must not be pure NZ's. So basically, you want to keep all three colors separate, almost like having 3 distinct breeds?
yes, If you want true colors in the new zealands you have to keep them all true all the way down the line. They are not like holland lops or dwarfs where you can put a broken black with a black otter and get some broken black otter.

Good to know! If I ever get NZ's I'd get broken reds, and I would get them from the same breeder you did, since he is in CA and has such good stock. :)

GBov":1y1qm0o8 said:
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":1y1qm0o8 said:

But where does the black come from? And is it ever pure black or does it always have brown ticking? We did just buy two does from a breeder down past Orlando and they look a very nice black but without a true black buck, how will I get true black babies?
In order to get true black with out any other ticking in there. The generation has to be at least 3 . On both sides. YOu dont want any white fur in it either. Which you can get rid of by use a blue. A differnt thing all together.

__________ Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:18 pm __________

GBov":1y1qm0o8 said:
akane":1y1qm0o8 said:
A red should be born pink so are you sure you don't just have 2 pinks? That would make perfect sense and they would be rew. REW can hide under any color and is common in NZ. In a few days they'll fur white or not and you'll know.

She was right, one of them is white! The other one is brick red and two nice black ones.

So far so good, nice full tummies!
reds are not born pink. white babies are pink. The reds are red when born. YOu can really tell the difference.

Attachments

• 010new born babies.jpg
    010new born babies.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 957
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":2qrjroeu said:
reds are not born pink. white babies are pink. The reds are red when born. YOu can really tell the difference.

I remember the post you made with pics of your newborn reds- they were more of a brick red, not pink like REWs!

MamaSheepdog":euvhvfdr said:
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":euvhvfdr said:

I remember the post you made with pics of your newborn reds- they were more of a brick red, not pink like REWs!
that is right. Geez you are faster than me. lol

I get tons of reds. They look exactly like my rew and himi until they fur. Which only takes a couple days before they are covered in fuzz.

Ehm from what i know about the steel gene.. they look self with goldish ticking on the hairtips, while they actually are agoutis and not self. So when a rabbit shows the steel gene, it also has a slight tan triangle in the neck behind the ears, the tan triangle is proof of it being an agouti because the steel gene ONLY shows on agoutis, not on selfs. A self carrying the steel gene you would not see on the outside, only if you breed him back to agouti to pop out agouti steel kits. So your buck and doe are both agouti showing the steel gene which clarifies the red agouti kit.

A true black should look like this, without any other color or ticking.
969alaska.jpg

GBov":1qme8409 said:
What is/are self?

A/a: Agouti / Non Agouti Gene

The dominant Agouti gene (A) results in the characteristic agouti type coloration of black and yellow bands on the hair shaft with a light colored belly, light eye circles, nostril and chin markings. All rabbits which show this typical pattern of light belly, eye circles, nostril and chin markings carry the dominant (A) agouti gene even if they don't have the typical banding on their hair shafts.

The recessive (a) gene results in a single color being produced on the whole hair shaft and everywhere on the body of the rabbit. This produces solid or self colored rabbits such as black, blue, chocolate and lilac.

But Goof Ball and Jet dont have lighter circles around their eyes! Are they gold tipped steel anyway?

I dont understand :oops: This color thing gets really complicated!

The steel gene is misleading, it shows a solid self colored rabbit who actually is agouti but thats where the steel comes in play, it pushes the lower colorband up to make it look like the coat of a self, when its actually not self. That's what happened in your case, it tries to hide al the agouti marks like the light eye circles, the white belly, the gene is truly misleading and therefor annoying.

I have a blue colored steel and i wouldnt have known until i saw a light agouti mark behind the ears that was my give away.
Other than that he looks completely solid blue.. and i wasn't happy when i found out, i hate this gene the most!

Disney":2z0xa8g9 said:
The steel gene is misleading, it shows a solid self colored rabbit who actually is agouti but thats where the steel comes in play, it pushes the lower colorband up to make it look like the coat of a self, when its actually not self. That's what happened in your case, it tries to hide al the agouti marks like the light eye circles, the white belly, the gene is truly misleading and therefor annoying.

I have a blue colored steel and i wouldnt have known until i saw a light agouti mark behind the ears that was my give away.
Other than that he looks completely solid blue.. and i wasn't happy when i found out, i hate this gene the most!

:lol: I think I shall join you in the hate that gene club!

Latest posts

Back