What on earth? Why arnt they all black???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
My big black NZ doe just had three kits - fingers crossed for a few more - with my black NZ buck. He was sold to me as black but I think he is closer to steal or agouti that true black but he is pretty dark and very nice looking.

So of the three babies, one is black, one is red and one is a speckeldy reddish pinkish color.

Why aren't they all black?

I'd say the parents are carrying all sorts of colors! How exciting- nestbox surprises!

Hopefully you'll get quite a few more kits- odds are most of them will be dark. :popcorn:

You know I actually try to bred/buy rabbits that throw the most colors, so I don't have to have a bunch of pairs to get different colors. My castor doe has black, white, castor and chocolate kits, the broken castor had castor black and otter, the other broken castor had castor, blue and opal. The only one that has a completely predictable color is the chin, because it's easy to mess chin up and hard to recover.

wild1slilfarm":1grxldp1 said:
I would love to see pics

Ah yes, pictures! Well, being a bit computer inept my posting of pickies is a bit hit or miss but I will be trying soon. My daughter says she has had one more baby, another black one this time and she insists that the mottled pinkish one is actually white. Am off to have another look and see if she is right.

A red should be born pink so are you sure you don't just have 2 pinks? That would make perfect sense and they would be rew. REW can hide under any color and is common in NZ. In a few days they'll fur white or not and you'll know.

akane":hkykfm5t said:
A red should be born pink so are you sure you don't just have 2 pinks? That would make perfect sense and they would be rew. REW can hide under any color and is common in NZ. In a few days they'll fur white or not and you'll know.

She was right, one of them is white! The other one is brick red and two nice black ones.

So far so good, nice full tummies!

If you have a red one of the parents is an agouti (chestnut or red most likely) not black and both are carrying nonextension. You should get chestnuts in subsequent litters.

akane":2eyf1l71 said:
If you have a red one of the parents is an agouti (chestnut or red most likely) not black and both are carrying nonextension. You should get chestnuts in subsequent litters.

My black buck has always looked an odd color so I think he is more agouti rather than black. My hubby bought him for me and we were told he was black.

How does one get true black? THe doe is a beautiful deeeeeep black and it would be nice to get more of her color instead of his should be black but isnt.

You just get a black. All your blacks should look like that and not brownish unless sunbleached.

Does he have a white belly? A chestnut should have white or cream. A red could be solid but would be an obvious brown even if it's a very smutty red.

akane":2k5tss7w said:
You just get a black. All your blacks should look like that and not brownish unless sunbleached.

Does he have a white belly? A chestnut should have white or cream. A red could be solid but would be an obvious brown even if it's a very smutty red.

No white belly. He looks black with a bronze top coat. Hard to explain and I am not going for the camera right now. Between a mother cat calling for a lost litter of kittens - why she comes to our house to have them is a mystery as she is obveously some ones pet - and a raccoon caught in the live trap (murdering swine! Killed three of my chicks before we caught it!) and my hubby snoring, I feel like the walking dead this morning lol. And here she is back again! She is certain they are in here as we caught last years litter adn had them all inside for 6 weeks to tame them. I think said raccoon might have gotten them this year but she wont give up looking for them. Its both sad and reeeeeeaaaaaaaly anoying.

You can't have a red if your buck is not an agouti and an agouti has a white or cream belly except in cases of it being bred out such as for reds which would be quite obvious brown. Yours sounds more like steel or sunburn. If these kits were just born and don't have fuzz I bet you money you've got 2 pinks and one just looks redder in skin making them REW and the parents black. Agoutis don't just look a little off from self. They have entirely different markings. With it being dominant if it's there you see it so like I said to get a red you have to have an agouti since it's an agouti color.

When it stops raining I will try to get some pictures. Its driving me nuts, not knowing what color he is! He isnt sunburned so perhaps steel? I dont know but you guys might with pickies.

It sounds like the buck is a steel... with a non extension gene. The buck will throw either the steel gene or the non extension then, plus his agouti gene equals the red. If he has a recessive self gene then you might get torts with this doe or selfs that have the steel gene hidden. He has the dominant genes over your black doe, which is why things went the way they did. Also they both carry a small "c" or rew gene if you got white....lol

Right! I have his picture, one of his last litter by a REW, a picture of the mother and a picture of the litter.

Cant figure out what to do now!

Every forum is different just to mess with my head, isnt it? :lol:

Actually all forums are the same. Use something like photobucket to store your photos and all you will ever have to do is copy the img link and paste it in the post. No matter what forum you are on.

akane":2qczp5fb said:
Actually all forums are the same. Use something like photobucket to store your photos and all you will ever have to do is copy the img link and paste it in the post. No matter what forum you are on.

Only to computer savy people ;)

I am on one that I can do it all there, just like Craigs list. I can do CL :lol:

Just tried to set up an album but it keeps telling me its too big. Shall try again. I dont like photo bucket adn have forgoten my password. But the pictures are good if i ever get them posted.

That's why photobucket is the best. There is no picture size limit and in more than 5 years of collecting pictures I have come nowhere close to my limit of pictures or of links to pictures. Most sites are not that way and you will have to go through reducing the picture or deleting pictures frequently to keep space. I do dislike the new album design for photobucket. It's highly annoying. Especially while using this old computer cause my laptop died of hardware failure.

"][url=http://www.servimg.com/image...servimg.com/u/f40/16/50/22/95/02010.jpg[/img]
[/url]

Hmmm, it might have worked. This is Goof Ball who was sold to me as a Black NZ.

__________ Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:24 pm __________

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_p...servimg.com/u/f40/16/50/22/95/02610.jpg[/img]

[/url]

This is the litter.

__________ Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:25 pm __________

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_p...servimg.com/u/f40/16/50/22/95/02710.jpg[/img]

[/url]

And this is the mama, named Jet.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm __________<br /><br />It was a fairly dark day so I had to use the flash so it highlighted the color more than is there in true daylight.

And as a side question, are the inner eyelids supposed to be so prominant in NZ's?

Latest posts

Back