What is up with my does??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millinex

Reaction score
I have a few does that when placed with a male just lay down and start grunting and whining. It's mainly 2 sisters that do this. They were housed with their brother but were each only 4-4.5 months. He was sold off and is long gone.. could he have done the deed??

He might have. I know that OAF often breeds her does at that age, but my Rex are not mature enough that young.

Your does might not be ready. Have you checked their vent color?

I don't know if you have already seen this thread, but it has pictures of what to look for:

judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

Some does may show readiness but not be "mentally ready" so will refuse to be bred even if their color is good. If so, just try again in a week or two. :)

He could have...they can sometimes breed as young as 12wks. It is certainly a possibility. I have had does drop a litter AT 16 wks that were evidently bred by a sibling at 12wks. I used to separate at 12wks, now I do it at 8-10wks.

MamaSheepdog":3e2ax9ym said:
He might have. I know that OAF often breeds her does at that age, but my Rex are not mature enough that young.

Your does might not be ready. Have you checked their vent color?

I don't know if you have already seen this thread, but it has pictures of what to look for:

judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

Some does may show readiness but not be "mentally ready" so will refuse to be bred even if their color is good. If so, just try again in a week or two. :)
Vent color dark redish. Both girls have been tried several times. One is 9lb one is 11lb.

Well, they are certainly large enough to breed. I would try them twice a day when their color is good. If they pin themselves to the floor, get them moving. Often times after a few circuits around the cage, they will lift. Another option would be to put them in a large enclosure where they have more freedom of movement.

MamaSheepdog":1bbkhbo7 said:
Well, they are certainly large enough to breed. I would try them twice a day when their color is good. If they pin themselves to the floor, get them moving. Often times after a few circuits around the cage, they will lift. Another option would be to put them in a large enclosure where they have more freedom of movement.
Going to have to try a large pen or something, so far nothing has worked. I'm about to attempt table breeding on them, which I've had limited success with so far with a few females..

Latest posts

Back