What is toxic to rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I stuck to the Safe Plants in that list. Toxic plant lists abound on the Internet, but since they often add plants that have only one poisonous part, they are not really very helpful. Apples show up on such lists. Only the seeds are toxic and even then they would have to eat a lot.

The Safe Plants list is not complete, but it will give you a feel for the common weeds and tree twigs and leaves that are good for your rabbits. Unless you are pasturing rabbits, there is no need for them to be near any toxic plants.

Sorry MaggieJ, hope I didn't step out of bounds by posting. I have read so much on the internet regarding plants, that I think your list is the most informative on SAFE plants. Hoping you complete it in the future. And also know that all rabbits are individuals and some might not take even "safe" plants as well so it's good to go real slow when introducing anything new to your rabbit.

Karen

No problem at all, Karen. :) I just didn't want Whipple searching for something that isn't there.

I don't think a Safe Plants list is ever complete. But there are updates I should make to it sometime soon. Every year I find a few new plants that are good for the buns. Eventually I'd like to write a book (probably an e-book) on natural feeding that would cover the safe plants in more detail and include pictures. When I started with rabbits in 2005, hardly anyone on the forums was feeding naturally. When I saw how well my rabbits did with just supplements of dandelion, plantain and clover (the only ones I knew were safe back then!) I began to search out other plants that could be fed.

Whipple":14lmx2zz said:
Thanks! I actually do plan on pasturing part-time. So I want to be sure before I do.
In a mixed pasture mature rabbits are quite good about sorting out the good and bad plants on their own.
Watch out for the young ones though. They haven't yet developed that sense and are liable to eat anything green.

What you could do, Whipple, is take sample plants from the area you will use for pasturing and identify anything that you are not certain is safe. Or, if the plants in question are not on the Safe Plants list, ask about them here, with pictures, and we will try to help you out.

What about Spiderwort? I cultivate that for the flowers (to make dye), but was told it was an edible plant for humans when I was trying to ID a similar plant that sprang up wherever we dumped the rabbit poo (which I have since ID'd as Commelina, though I still don't know the exact variety), and they're related. Since the one that sprang up(probably a contaminant of the feed pellets)is obviously not harming the rabbits, can I try the larger plant out on them?

well, there's always the "test bunny" method of finding out....give a little bit to a "disposable" rabbit and see what happens.....then give a little more....

Spiderwort is apparently edible raw or cooked for humans, but...

Some members of the genus Tradescantia may cause allergic reactions in pets (especially cats and dogs), characterised by red, itchy skin. Notable culprits include T. albiflora (Scurvy Weed); T. spathacea (Moses In The Cradle); and T. pallida (Purple Heart).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia

I only have one plant at the moment and even if it spreads I won't be in a hurry to try it on my rabbits.

Hmmm, ok, I did not notice that line, although I am not sure it applies, as I have the pictured variety (none of the "notable culprits"), plus that sounds like they mean a contact allergy (dogs and cats not usually EATING plants). My current dog rolls in the related commelina which has sprung up in the rabbit patches and suffers no allergic response, though I did have a dog who could not stay outside due to similar "grass allergies". Besides it's arising FROM the poop, I am pretty sure my rabbits have nibbled the smaller commelina when in their portable grazing cage, so I was hoping to be able to use the larger leaves of the Spiderwort after it quits blooming. I guess I will try it out on my remaining kit who I thought was a doe, but at 7 weeks seems to be a buck, since I don't plan to keep him beyond 4 months old. If he reacts I will know not to feed it to the other rabbits, but if he likes it, then next year I will grow more in the rest of the yard, not just one planter as I have now.

Latest posts

Back