What is this...?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
This isn't the duckweed I keep hearing about, is it? It's starting to get a bit thick in the fishtank, and my mum's even been throwing some of it out. XD I'm bad at identifying plants, but it looks like "lemna minor" to me, going by Wikipedia. What do you think? If it's safe, I'd like to be able to save some for my bunnies. :D

Attachments

• DSCF5010.png
    DSCF5010.png
    215.2 KB
Looks like Lemna minor, or Lemna gibba... both of which are duckweed. :)

Duckweed is very nutritious, but aquarium chemicals would probably render it unsafe for your bunnies.

You could remove some of it from the tank, rinse it, and put it outside in a tub of water so you could grow your own. :) If you put a screen over the tub, it would keep it from becoming a mosquito pool.

I have not a clue what it is it does look cool tho with the leaf shape look's like butterfly's!!
I wish there was some sort of advice I could give you but I aint to good at identifying plant's
either.

I wonder if I kept little minnows or goldfish in my water trough if they'd eat the duckweed or the larva first... :?

Queenpup":h8pm61f8 said:
I wish there was some sort of advice I could give you but I aint to good at identifying plant's
either.

LOL- Firstpup says I should disassociate myself from Queenpup and call her a spammer because she used the word aint...

MamaSheepdog":2u76tiqi said:
Queenpup":2u76tiqi said:
either.

LOL- Firstpup says I should disassociate myself from Queenpup and call her a spammer because she used the word aint...
:lol: Isn't Firstpup a bit young to be a moderator? :lol:

Hah! He's fifteen, and his response was "Ooh- could I be a moderator? I'd take that position."<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 pm __________<br /><br />I have just been informed that he is a moderator on a Lego forum... who knew?

MamaSheepdog":2cfofctp said:
Hah! He's fifteen, and his response was "Ooh- could I be a moderator? I'd take that position."

__________ Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 pm __________

I have just been informed that he is a moderator on a Lego forum... who knew?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My gold fish eat all the larva and ate all the duck weed.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:44 am __________<br /><br />careful missm, your getting a little "off topic"

toastedoat37":2j2w9u0z said:
My gold fish eat all the larva and ate all the duck weed.

__________ Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:44 am __________

careful missm, your getting a little "off topic"

:groooan:

toastedoat37":2pespiod said:
careful missm, your getting a little "off topic"
:lol: We do normally tolerate "thread drift" here. The one thread yesterday was the exception, not the rule. :)

Nyctra -- another duckweed thread has popped up, with lots of good and interesting info on its cultivation. post78239.html

Nycra- My duck weed is gone,,maybe because the goldfish ate it all,i didnt have very much to start, and maybe because it died off for some other reason. But if your gonna try to grow plants in a pond its good to have goldfish,,,they fertilize the plants in my pond,,the plants and the fish help each other out.

Back