What is this??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
So the other day I took the nest out of my Cali's cage, it's been very warm, day and night. It's supposed to stay warm from here on out, basically. Everyone looked good, 7 happy 2wk old kits.
But today I noticed one with a half closed eye, picked it up and there's crust at the corner of the eye and also a little on the left side of the chin and left side of the upper lip.
My guess is no idea up to rabbit syphilis.
I'm going to go out and take a picture. In the mean time, any one know what it could be?

well, clean the area off, and see if the crusty stuff returns. if it returns, you have a problem-- if not, more than likely, a one time irritation event is the likely culprit..

Ok, well, it's not a crust you can just wash off. Pics in a few mins, making them smaller.<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:12 pm __________<br /><br />
bnn.jpg

It may just be from rubbing on the cage wire or something of that sort. I'd put a dab of antibiotic ointment on it and see how it looks in a day or so.

Just to be safe, I'd examine the doe and other kits thoroughly for similar crusty patches.

I did check them all over right after I noticed this one and nothing so far. I'll keep an eye out for any others getting something.<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:37 pm __________<br /><br />Well, this kit now has the other eye having issues. There's a tiny bump on the lower eye lid. The other side of it's top muzzle, where the whiskers are, is bald.
Others seem fine.
What the heck?

It looks more like an injury than a disease. I'd say Maggies advice of using anibiotic ointment on it will probably clear it up. Rabbits often get poked in the eye.

It looks more like a vent disease to me. Both eyes w/bumps or crust. Chin and both muzzles crusted or bald.
No way the same one has the same injuries now on the other side of the face.

Vent disease is a possibility, but it has to come from somewhere. Why one kit in a litter when every other kit and mom seem fine? Any thoughts on how it could have been transmitted?

I'll take pics today. They haven't met any other rabbits.<br /><br />__________ Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:04 pm __________<br /><br />It's spread to an ear, maybe the butt and to another kit.
Pic one is a collage of several pictures of the same rabbit. Last/2nd pic is of the other kit, now with symptoms.
bun1.jpg

bun2.jpg

Looks like ringworm to me, especially since it is spreading on the head area... I could see it starting at the eyes or mouth, and when the bunny cleans it's face and ears it spreads the fungus around. If you look at the areas under a blacklight, the bald areas will glow neon-green. You could treat it with Nu-stock or a fungal cream/spray for athlete's foot. It will take a while for the fur to regrow, but you will be able to tell if the treatment is working if the bald areas stop growing.

Do you or your fiance have any slightly red itchy patches on your arms or body? Or athlete's foot? The fungus spreads easily both ways- human to animal, or animal to human. Fortunately, most people develop a resistance to ringworm once they have had it. I got it on my arm when I worked in a vet hospital, but it went away quickly and I have never gotten it again.

I think I may of posted on your thread, I had a kit in the 1st litter that had a bald spot. But that's as far as it went and soon it was back to normal.

Reading I need to use bleach on all the cages and equipment and also treat everyone in the pen. But, eh, also hearing it will clear on it's own.

Couldn't find the fungus isle in Target, anyone know where they keep it?

It should be with the first aid stuff, since it is an OC remedy. You could also ask the pharmacist which aisle it is in. Blu-kote is antifungal too- do you have any of that for your horses?

No, but that's easier to find, lol. I'll pick some up tomorrow.
Didn't ask cus I was busy getting human food, I was starving! =D<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:34 pm __________<br /><br />Got the bluekote, but now the original eye lid is swelling, new spot on face already. Couldn't tell which other kit had it too. So just sprayed the one that's real bad.
They had a red bottle of ringworm and other fungal stuff, but it said it was only for certain animals.

The swelling is probably due to the kit scratching at it- Blukote will prevent or take care of any secondary infection too. You wont have any trouble finding the kits that need treatment after the first application, anyway! :lol:

Yea, it's like Thrush Buster, I'm all purple! Not sure why they call it BlueKote when it's clearly purple....
Wondering how long the color will last on fur? I'll get the other kit during their nightly grass-fest.<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:16 pm __________<br /><br />That poor thing is purple all over...
Do I have to wait til it dries before letting the kit go? Takes forever and it just ends up all over the rabbit and me...

Sorry- I thought you would know about the color... :oops: Umm- it will stay for a few days I'd say- I haven't ever paid a lot of attention to how long it lasts when we have used it on the horses. Hubs used it on his feet once and was not pleased because it turned his socks purple... and he wasn't too thrilled about having purple feet, either. Next time, why don't you squirt a tiny bit in a little container (like a water bottle cap) and apply it with a cotton swab? Hopefully it wont get all over everything that way.

Nah, I don't care if I'm purple. It lasts a week on my horse's hooves, I'm always purple from my pony wiggling. It only lasts a day or two on my hands, just wasn't sure about fur.

Back