What is this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offherrocker

Reaction score
I remember seeing a post a while back showing this...but I Don t remember where or what it said. Why is it growing like this?? This is 2 different kits. The others look solid black, solid grey or broken colored

Attachments

• 20230426_134535_HDR.jpg
    20230426_134535_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230426_134608_HDR.jpg
    20230426_134608_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
It has the mane gene, and it's double-maned. The long wool on the sides takes longer to grow in. If you want to be able to distinguish this one from the others mark it now, as later on you may not be able to tell it from the single maned ones.

...these are 3/4 lion head, 1/4 Rex....will it really matter?
Probably not! But if you want to breed more of the same, the double-maned one will be the most useful, since it has two copies of the mane gene and will produce manes no matter what it's bred to - plus it will give you more double maned if bred to single- or double-maned.

Last dumb question....if I keep breeding offspring back to full lionheads, will I eventually get pure lion head? Can it even work that way?

In my litters, the pink skin indicates a lighter color, like a white, pearl, cream or tan coloring. The solids will be solid, the ones with pink bellies may have a lighter color. Solids are probably selfs, these could be agouti or tan patterned.

When the fur comes in, any rabbits with double mane genes will have a clear pattern of thicker fur that is wide at the front of the body, coming to almost a point near the rear or hips. It is possible to have a tan or agouti patterned rabbit with the double mane genes.

Latest posts

Back