What is this in my Rabbit's Ear ??? Help Please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nkloft

Reaction score
i was feeding the Rabbits today when i noticed this in my Buck's ear. IS it Rabbit Mite ? I would really appericate if you guys can tell me from the picture what it could be.
2lboy1y.jpg

j771wy.jpg

28ip8gl.jpg

1239im8.jpg

I don't think it is ear mites...it *almost* looks like a type of skin cancer... :shock: It could also be a wart like growth caused by papilloma virus. According to this website:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-9/skin.html

it is fairly common. PetMed has this to say:

Shope Papilloma Virus

Shope papilloma virus, sometimes referred to as cottontail cutaneous papilloma virus, is a viral disease that causes malignant tumors to grow in rabbits, often on its head. The virus is seen in wild rabbits, as well as domestic or pet rabbits.

Outbreaks of the disease more commonly seen during the summer and fall, when populations of disease-carrying insects are highest. Keeping rabbits indoors during these seasons is recommended.

Symptoms and Types

A member of the Papovaviridae family, this virus is frequently seen in cottontail rabbits, but may be contagious for other breeds. A rabbit suffering from Shope papilloma virus will have raised, red and rough lesions (usually circular), which are greater than one centimeter in length. These lesions are found in various locations on the upper half of the animal's body, including the neck and shoulders, but are primarily found on the eyelids, ears and other areas of the head. (They are occasionally seen on a rabbit's feet.)

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/ ... R5ZgaXqn_0

MamaSheepdog":1cvvlprf said:
I think it may be skin cancer as well. :(

__________ Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:00 am __________

OAF, I also was looking at warts, but it doesn't resemble the tissue samples shown in this link:

http://icwdm.org/PDF%27s/papillomamedrabbit.pdf

Yes, but those pics show ADVANCED Shope's papilloma, a specific type of papilloma and the other pics are of the anal region...

The OP's rabbit image looks like the beginnings of either a papillomatosis or some kind of skin cancer.

:( Early-stage ear mites show as a dark crust down inside the base of the ear. As they progress, the crust climbs up the internal surface of the ear. This is definitely not mites.

Miss M":2goo1uhp said:
the other pics are of the anal region...

Yes- it looks like it is affecting the mucous membranes, so it would look different than normal skin tissue.

Is there any way to treat it without taking it to a vet because at the moment i wont be able to afford a vet ? and is it bad or common in rabbits ?

They look like benign papillomas and are nothing to worry about but if you want to get rid of them you can try using the freezing type of wart removal meds. Please read the label carefully and follow safety precautions.

A rabbits ear is very thin compared to human skin so dont leave it on too long or you may freeze burn right through the ear.

You are just going to kill the cells, not remove or dissolve the lumps, which will be naturally shed off over a few days, so a quick zap is all you need.

Be careful you dont get yourself so wear warm gloves or use a cloth to stabilize the ear.

Would there be a problem if I just leave it and not mess with it ? And is it contagious to other rabbits ?

Not super contagious. This rabbit is likely just more susceptable to warts, just like some people get them and some dont. It isnt like a herpes virus that everyone can catch.

If its a breeder, its offspring may also be more susceptable and they can catch if from him if in close contact.

He could also be experiencing some stress which caused a flare up and allowed the warts to sprout up.

He also looks like a fawn, which tend to be one of the more inbred colours of rabbits, so his immune system may be compromised in breeding for the desired colour.

In the long run they could get quite big but rabbits live less than 10 years so I dont think you need to worry too much. Keep and eye on it and if it seem to be growing very quickly then I would worry.

Dood":ac3r13qo said:
Not super contagious. This rabbit is likely just more susceptable to warts, just like some people get them and some dont. It isnt like a herpes virus that everyone can catch.

If its a breeder, its offspring may also be more susceptable and they can catch if from him if in close contact.

He could also be experiencing some stress which caused a flare up and allowed the warts to sprout up.

He also looks like a fawn, which tend to be one of the more inbred colours of rabbits, so his immune system may be compromised in breeding for the desired colour.

In the long run they could get quite big but rabbits live less than 10 years so I dont think you need to worry too much. Keep and eye on it and if it seem to be growing very quickly then I would worry.

Thank you very much. Iwas really worried when I first saw it.

Latest posts

Back