What is the youngest rabbit you have bred?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
Oooppps I did it again. I left two siblings together too long. I did this one time before last years and the doe was pregnant. They were all DOA. She later went on to being a great momma. I had my Vlops together for the past 3 weeks (about 12 weeks old now). I had been meaning to move the buck but didn't know where I was going to move him too. I started noticing the doe dominating the buck and made plans to move them in the next few days. I came in from work and the buck was doing his thing and fell off. After a few not friendly words I moved him. It is my hope that she doesn't take as I worry about complications of a 4 month delivery.

What is the youngest you have had successfully carry?

Whoa! 3 months for a VLop, eh? :shock: Smaller breeds do mature earlier, but that is pretty precocious! :lol:

The youngest I have had was a Rex at about 4 1/2 months at breeding (can't remember exactly- maybe it was closer to 5 months...) and it was a case of growouts left together for too long as well. The doe did fine with the litter.

Usually young does actually have better litter outcomes than does that are bred later, so your experience last year was more of a fluke than the norm. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for the reassurance. It took me a long time to get this pair and the first litter is an important one as I will be holding some back.

Schipperkesue":1whea0b1 said:
I had a doe born in May produce a litter on the first of October this year. 13 and all survived.

WOW that is quite impressive. I presume it was a larger breed rabbit judging by the number of kits

Not on purpose but I had a 3month old produce a litter. 1 normal, 1 runt, no nest, and they died in 2 days.

ckcs":3at9r1ta said:
Schipperkesue":3at9r1ta said:
I had a doe born in May produce a litter on the first of October this year. 13 and all survived.

WOW that is quite impressive. I presume it was a larger breed rabbit judging by the number of kits

Yes, one of my cold weather meat crosses. It was an unplanned litter. I failed to separate them early enough...thought she was a he!

They were born in a nice nest on the ground under a half dog kennel. Fortunately it was pretty warm this October. Usually it is below zero celcius around here.

I had a couple of 11wk old Rex does get tagged by siblings. They both delivered at 15wks and were excellent mothers. :)

If she successfully took and delivers that would speed up my Vlop program for sure. I wasn't expecting to have a litter until April 2015

My does that gave birth a few days ago were purchased at the same time and gave birth at 4 1/2 months old... meaning they were bred at 3/12 months old. Thats young! :shock: AND they actually made a nest and have been feeding the babies so good instincts to boot. Course I have lost several to getting out of the nest but still awesome for us first timers.

Latest posts

Back