What is the difference?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Between harlequin and tri-color?

I hate to sound stupid but its been nagging at me :lol:

I believe a tricolor lacks the harlequin pattern even though it's using the same gene. The ones I've seen called tricolor were more spotted where as magpie (broken harlequin) is in stripes or patches.

akane":12tf107g said:
I believe a tricolor lacks the harlequin pattern even though it's using the same gene. The ones I've seen called tricolor were more spotted where as magpie (broken harlequin) is in stripes or patches.

My understanding is that Magpie IS harlequin(alternating patches or stripes of color) and tri color is the broken version of harlequin.<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:28 pm __________<br /><br />
OneAcreFarm":12tf107g said:
akane":12tf107g said:

My understanding is that Magpie is a harlequin(alternating patches or stripes of color) and tri color is the broken version of harlequin.

Here is the reference where I was reading about it....http://rexrabbit.tripod.com/TriRex.html

JessicaR":f8qfeqje said:
tri color is a broken harlequin

There you go, six words and its sorted. :D

I wonder why the doe has never produced a tri-color then as that is what she is, she just has harlequins instead.

GBov":l0khlzi6 said:
JessicaR":l0khlzi6 said:
tri color is a broken harlequin

There you go, six words and its sorted. :D

I wonder why the doe has never produced a tri-color then as that is what she is, she just has harlequins instead.

What are you breeding her to? I think you have to either breed her to another Tri or a Harlequin, to get more Tri's...

Magpie is a type of harlequin pattern. Plain harlequin without white are called japanese. A tricolor does not have the pattern arranged in stripes or patches but spots.

akane":qewngzkl said:
Magpie is a type of harlequin pattern. Plain harlequin without white are called japanese. A tricolor does not have the pattern arranged in stripes or patches but spots.

Whoops, I was thinking Japanese but typed Magpie instead! Yes, so Tricolor is a Broken Japanese Harlequin...

For some reason, the broken spotted pattern rearranges those stripes into beautiful spots. I love the broken gene.

akane":1aue7ftm said:
magpie (broken harlequin)

The difference between Japanese harli and Magpie harli is that Japs have brown/red where the Magpie has white. Magpie is not broken, just a lack of the brown.

I love the Harli color and have put a lot of time into studying the genetics of this color/pattern.

Someday I will be adding Harli's back into my Herd. But for now it is the JW and of course the few rex I have to play around with. If Harli ever gets approved in the Rex I will be ready. :) I need to get me a nice Standard Doe to work with. Or three, a red, blue, choc, and lilac. :)

tm_bunnyloft":86mry5qv said:
akane":86mry5qv said:

The difference between Japanese harli and Magpie harli is that Japs have brown/red where the Magpie has white. Magpie is not broken, just a lack of the brown.

I love the Harli color and have put a lot of time into studying the genetics of this color/pattern.

Someday I will be adding Harli's back into my Herd. But for now it is the JW and of course the few rex I have to play around with. If Harli ever gets approved in the Rex I will be ready. :) I need to get me a nice Standard Doe to work with. Or three, a red, blue, choc, and lilac. :)

I love learning new things about genetics! Thanks TM!

OneAcreFarm":3nqx3ine said:
tm_bunnyloft":3nqx3ine said:
akane":3nqx3ine said:

I love learning new things about genetics! Thanks TM!

And new ways to count! :lol:

Actually, according to my hubby, that IS how I count rabbits.

Back