What is the difference between fawn and cream?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKRabbitry

Reaction score
What is the difference between fawn and cream?
If I understand correctly fawn is the dilute of orange.
But what is cream, and what makes it different from fawn??

I have a little Mini lop that I am trying to figure out.
Attached a few pictures of him.

Attachments

• fawnMiniLop (800x534).jpg
    fawnMiniLop (800x534).jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 1,454
  • cutefawnbabylop (800x534).jpg
    cutefawnbabylop (800x534).jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 1,454
It depends on the breed.

For Mini Lops you are correct, fawn is a dilute / blue orange and cream is a lilac orange.

Your bunny actually looks like a blue tort.

A Fawn or cream would have lighter areas around the eyes, feet and nose while your rabbit is darker in these areas, indicating a tortoiseshell

The breed is the difference. In some breeds fawn is just red and in others it's dilute. There are also breeds where cream is red (creme d'argent are silver red but the spelling slightly different), some breeds where it's dilute, and some breeds where it's something else because they use red and fawn for regular nonextension agouti and dilute nonextension agouti. Nonextension agoutis are hard to keep track of between breeds because there is no standard for the names used on the various colors.

Thanks for the info, both of you!
That helps to clear things up a little more.
You think he might be a blue tort, Dood?
That crossed my mind, but then I thought compared to my Holland torts he seemed to not have quite as much shading.
But it does make sense. I'll keep an eye on him.....only 4 weeks right now, so he has lot's of time to mature.

I was having this discussion recently on facebook...I think mini lops use the same color guide as Elops and Flops. "Cream" is a creamy beige with blue eyes, "Fawn" is golden with brown eyes, "Orange" is bright orange with brown eyes. I did not know this, but "Red" is also recognized in the wide band group for these breeds-bright, sorrel red, but not as dark as mahogany with brown eyes.

Back