WHAT is that!?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Um... I have NO cle what this is. She is destined for freezer camp but should I be worried about contaminating my heard? She is about 6 wks old. Still with all her siblings.
image.jpg

She is definitely a he, and it looks like he has syphilis. It's treatable.

Edit- trying to find pictures to confirm...

Can't seem to find any pictures to confirm, so can't be sure what it is. :/

I'm REALLY bad at sexing at this age :oops:

I'm not so worried about this litter as they are all destined for freezer camp, but maybe I should treat the Doe just to be safe?

If he's been in with does it could already be spread.
:(
I don't know how it might affect meat (if at all).

I'm assuming at six weeks these youngsters are weaned. I would remove the doe to a separate cage and keep both her and the youngsters in quarantine to protect the rest of the herd while you are trying to determine what the problem might be.

Monitor them during the next couple of weeks. Watch for lesions on the face as well as on the genitals. Rabbit syphilis is not transferable to humans so I think the meat should be fine. I don't think I would want to use medication on rabbits headed for freezer camp, but if the doe has or develops symptoms you would want to give her a full course of treatment before returning her to the general population and certainly before breeding her.

Rabbit syphilis is a possibility, but it is hard to tell from the photograph. I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions at this point. I would, however, want to be very careful about isolation protocols.

If it is determined the young ones are infected with VD (vent disease may be easier found than the other for rabbit's case) then the doe and the buck used along with any other does he's serviced in the same time frame need treated. They do not have to show signs to be carriers of it, and that is how this is such a bad problem to begin with in most areas. :(

Thanks everyone! Love RT!!!

I will quarantine this whole litter and doe. I'll check the doe over and buck. Luckily this as His first litter so it would be just him and this one doe that I would need to treat.

looks to me like a kit who got dirty, had some poop get stuck and then it got ripped off and now has a scar. Mind... I had a hard time seeing what the problem was past that rather obvious BOY ness sticking out. :)

Granted given that he's really red, my guess is you have a youngster in there who is growing up too fast and rough-housing with the others. Happens sometimes, fortunately not too often but when it does, kits end up with red vents and odd injuries.

Back