What is she?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this girl is actually a NZ or perhaps something else? Or is she just a type that I haven't seen? She seems to be built more like a low rectangle for shoulders and then a pear or teardrop shape stuck on for the butt end. She's quite fat, atm, partly because she's due to deliver in a week-ish, and partly because she's just flippin' HUGE. VERY large feet and head. Speaking of the head..it's very large and chunky..which is also something I don't see associated with the NZ. She's a solid 11 pounds, btw, and has GLORIOUSLY thick fur.

Any thoughts or comments? She is supposed to be a purebred, but I'm thinking maybe a cross with something?

DSCF4575copy.jpg

Even all balled up trying to get away from me, she doesn't have the same "round body with a head stuck on" than the other New Zealands I've been looking at do.
DSCF4581copy.jpg

She looks like a poorly typed New Zealand to me, depending on the breeder's breeding program you can get a whole bunch of different body shapes within one breed, just like any breed. I use to have a Mini Rex doe who would produce at least one nicely typed baby in her litter and one that was so rangy and odd looking it was hard to believe that it was a purebred Mini Rex.

I know NOTHING, but I just happened to be reading about American rabbits the other day, and she seems like she could be one?

They are bigger, have a "mandolin" shape, come in white and blue, and were originally developed for meat and fur... an informative site: http://twohunnyzrabbitry.webs.com/americanrabbits.htm

If it turns out she is, Congratulations! :)

As Devon said, there is a wide range even within breeds. I started out with "commercial" NZ from a huge commercial rabbitry and they certainly don't look like the same breed that my "show" NZ do now.

We'll see what she produces. She's certainly got the HIPS for breeding...good god. Plenty of room in there for kits. She's been on a sort of diet since she got here, but there's not much change. Might just be built like a Mac Truck by nature!

While I was cleaning the colony today (same room) this girl just kept watching me. Those big ol' red eyes staring at me, and her big feet just a thumpin'. Just can't WAIT until she has kits to protect :x I'll probably have to wear armour just to enter the room!

Don't know what may be lurking in her family tree besides NZW, but what lovely fur she has! So thick and luxuriant! Give her time, Ann... She'll likely end up being friendly enough once she settles in.

from a shelter perspective if you can label a rabbit anything and get it looked at so much the better - rabbits are very very hard to place :(

A lot of shelters label their rabbits americans. Some justerb't breed savy. Doesn't mater as long as the bunny finds a home.

I thought she looked like an American too. More then likely she is a poorly types newzealand, I agree that commercial newzealands do not look like the show ones. i have s show quality doe, and i had a commercial buck. Boy was his body type long and flat. His fur was a little different then hers too. I recently culled him, and replaced him with a son that has better body type.

I think its wrong to label something its not just to get someone to take it. I don't care who it is..Either someone wants a big white rabbit or they don't.Anyone who won't take a big white rabbit but WILL take a big white AMERICAN rabbit are highly suspect people in my book. Its these type of people who make up the most reasons there are animals in shelters in the first place.

ok, yes commercial body type NZW's are longer in the loin because thats where most of the best meat is.However a show quality nzw has the better height which may just hide a better loin as it looks a little more "square" I guess the real comparison would show if you butchered a commercial and high end show type together for comparison.

I don't suggest anybody mislead anybody - but if a stray turns up at my door I am much more likely to be able to rehome it if I try to figure out what mixes it is and label as best as I can - if I can get an animal in a home that's a good thing ...

doesn't matter if it's horses, dogs, cats or rabbits I am considering - if I knew enough about hamster and guinea pig breeds I'd apply it to them too - I would not call an animal a purebred anything unless I knew it was but a mix is pretty harmless and may attract attention

I'd love to see proof that "it's these type of people who make up the most reasons there are animals in shelters in the first place". My opinion on why there are animals in shelters do not include people who are willing to adopt from shelters generally speaking.

The rabbit at our shelter was labelled as "purebred" not a mix. Simply put people who rely on "labels" or names in order to want something be it whatever from whomever are NOT thinking things through. They are "in the "moment" and thinking of the attention said poor animal will get THEM. These types are picking things up from where ever they find them (not always shelters) but once the newness wears off and they don't get enough attention out it goes (usually into a shelter). Animals shouldn't be labelled by breed but by size /sex/ activity level etc.All animals of a species need basically the same care and time regardless of their "rarity" or how common they are.Dogs obviously have a large range of size so weight/height/activity measurements are pretty helpful in knowing if a certain dog would fit your lifestyle.

A lot of my proof actually comes from the purebred dog world, where all individual breed organizations actually run their own rescues for their breeds. They also actively encourage member breeders to make informed choices about who gets their puppies and to take them back if need be. The rescues run by each club is solely to keep them away from public shelters such as the spca or humane society.This is because the all breed shelters do tend to label and to not really meet or know the needs of the individual itself. The breed clubs also actively spoke out against things like movies and tv shows that would popularize the breed because it actually ruins the breed in the end. And that takes us back to the "types of people who are mostly responsible for a lot of the animal shelter population"

Devon's Mom Lauren":1vt6y06k said:
The rabbit at our shelter was labelled as "purebred" not a mix. Simply put people who rely on "labels" or names in order to want something be it whatever from whomever are NOT thinking things through. They are "in the "moment" and thinking of the attention said poor animal will get THEM. These types are picking things up from where ever they find them (not always shelters) but once the newness wears off and they don't get enough attention out it goes (usually into a shelter). Animals shouldn't be labelled by breed but by size /sex/ activity level etc.All animals of a species need basically the same care and time regardless of their "rarity" or how common they are.Dogs obviously have a large range of size so weight/height/activity measurements are pretty helpful in knowing if a certain dog would fit your lifestyle.

I have to disagree with this one. I raise purebred rabbits with pedigrees (and some without). I take into careful consideration which rabbit is bred to which rabbit. I might consider a mix, but it depends on what the mix is and where it would fit into my program. Not all animals of a species take the same amount of care and training. There is no way I could take care of 30 angora does, but I can take care of my 30 NZ's with ease.

As far as dogs, I would definitely want to choose what type of breed. A Border Collie's temperment would be much better suited to our lifestyle than say a Jack Russell (a voracious hunter of small animals and rodents). Different breeds are bred for different purposes with different temperments.

I think that there are responsible owners of animals and irresponsible owners. It falls back to them, not the breed.

You have totally missed the point of what you quoted.. This is not about what breed or mix does better. Its about my local shelter mislabeling a rabbit in order to pet it out. Also if a mixed breed dog is up for adoption; I said that that individual dog's traits should be described \NOT what breed may or may not be in it period. IE SIZE; WEIGHT; ACTIVITY LEVEL and yes coat care. Of course just the picture of an Angora should give rise to the thought that it might need grooming. We are also not talking about keeping large numbers but what a pet owner would have.It still takes the same amount of care for a big white rabbit as opposed to a big white American rabbit.Which was my original point.

BTW I own 4 Jack Russells I have had them for 15 years that included showing and breeding yet I would still describe them all differently.(Three are even related to each other) Oh any anyone who mentioned they wanted a dog like Eddie on Fraser didn't get one of my pups...but Eddie is another story :D

pfaubush":333psmsx said:
I think that there are responsible owners of animals and irresponsible owners. It falls back to them, not the breed.

and iresponsible breeders too - lots of them

OK, I re-read your post. I took it as a blanket statement regarding all animals. Sometimes tone is lost in reading a post. Sorry 'bout that.

Latest posts

Back