What is a sunburnt black and what does it look like?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
I've heard the term "sunburnt black" and I'm wondering what it looks like? Is it genetically a black? Is it ok to use for breeding as a black? I've got a 2.5 week old Netherland kit that I thought was totally black but I'm starting to see some ticking in some areas and I'm trying to figure out what is going on with him! :hmm:

I've got a lot of experience with it, and it's usually occurred when one or more of the following have been involved:

1-Summer heat
2-Moult in warm weather
3-Exposure to direct sunlight in the summer

The warmer weather has normally been a culprit, although there has often been a little more to it.

What does it look like? An otherwise solid black rabbit will have a reddish tinge to its coat, and it normally does not go away until the next pre-cold season moult.

Thanks for your reply! Hmmm...well, he's only a couple weeks old...do you think it could be from sun? He's not even been out in direct light that much. It's not really a reddish tinge...it's more like ticking around his ears, cheeks, and neck. What would it be? He's out of a broken opal and a himi.

I think it's more heat-related than anything else. Hard to say exactly what else could be involved, but given the time of year we're in, I wouldn't be so hasty as to swear that it's genetic.

Ladysown is correct. Ticking is a completely different problem than a sunburnt coat. Keep an eye on the baby as it gets older and you're looking for bunnies to cull into meat pens.

OK, thanks. Good to know about sunburnt. It's definitely more like gold tipping than ticking. I'm hoping that I'm not dealing with a hidden steel gene. If he's a steel anybody know what I should or shouldn't breed him to? My plan was to breed him back to his himi mother.

Latest posts

Back