What in the stars is this color/how does it happen?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millinex

Reaction score
:pancake: So I picked up a grab bag of bunnies recently at auction. One of which was this 8-9 week old lop cross (as they call it). His eyes are actually red- and not blue, but the rest of the color is kinda correct.. so he's like a light chocolate with... red eyes?

Now I'm no expert in rabbit genetics- but generally in snakes for instance if it's albino- it will be white/orange/yellow, and in other animals the same thing seems to hold true. What ends up having other coloration, but red eyes is called a paradox.

So brown with red eyes... what in the stars would he have been? Sorry, I ended up selling him off (don't need more bucks ya know) but I still wonder...

Attachments

• 00E0E_ft7NkclCNH_600x450.jpg
    00E0E_ft7NkclCNH_600x450.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 356
He's a chinchilla. He was red eyed, you say?

__________ Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am __________

Sorry, he looks like a squirrel.<br /><br />__________ Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am __________<br /><br />Either that or a blue chinchilla.

There are several possibilities.

His eyes are not really the red seen in red eyed whites and Himilayan but likely due to the shaded gene.

i believe he is a shaded silver tipped steel chocolate agouti or possibly a shaded silver tipped steel lynx

NOT a recognized colour in any breed but one of the funky ones that pops out when rabbits are allowed to breed randomly.

The only other possibility is he's a Lutino (the same gene causes pink instead of black eyes in rodents) but this gene is EXTREMELY rare in North America.

Very cool colour though :D

I say blue chinchilla too, a.k.a. Squirrel. Your lucky millinex. I almost called on that add last week for him! :p<br /><br />__________ Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:40 pm __________<br /><br />Oh... Okay, I get it. Your just using this pic as a comparison. :)

Still almost called on him. Can't get anymore.... Must... Downsize...

Dood":1aw6eaji said:
The only other possibility is he's a Lutino (the same gene causes pink instead of black eyes in rodents) but this gene is EXTREMELY rare in North America.

That is not a lutino. Probably a chocolate chin with shaded eyes or something close to that.

PSFAngoras":1h6kpzks said:
I say blue chinchilla too, a.k.a. Squirrel. Your lucky millinex. I almost called on that add last week for him! :p

__________ Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:40 pm __________

Oh... Okay, I get it. Your just using this pic as a comparison. :)

Still almost called on him. Can't get anymore.... Must... Downsize...

That picture is my picture, that was my ad, I sold him off pretty fast..

He wasn't gray, the color is washed out in the picture. He was a light chocolate brown kind of color, with some grey flecking. His eyes where as red as any of my cali's eyes, bright vivid red, my phone just has a red eye corrector I guess LOL.

I wish you would have called on him, I woulda been glad to have just given him to you or traded, I was very curious what he was/what he might end up to be/produce, but, when cage space is hurtin... no more males! LOL!

Latest posts

Back