What happened during this mating?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
Young but proven SF buck. Bred him tonight and had good coverings. But when he fell off, he started screaming after he grunted. I let him cover her three times. When I checked him later tonight, his penis was red and a little raw in places. What could have caused this?

Did he scream all three times, or just the last? Maybe it's chafing? I know I've noticed it before on my buck, but assumed it was because he has a tendency to get hair wrapped around his penis when he does the deed. It cleared up after a day or so, though.

He screamed all three times but no teeth grinding.

They were already bred and he was sold shortly after that. The buyer saw the condition of his penis and wasn't concerned.

I plan on checking with the buyer in a few days to make sure the rabbit is okay and that he still wants to keep him.

That's really odd. Hopefully it's not something that the does catch. Maybe he was playing with himself too much??

ollitos":7eem300j said:
He screamed all three times but no teeth grinding.

They were already bred and he was sold shortly after that. The buyer saw the condition of his penis and wasn't concerned.

I plan on checking with the buyer in a few days to make sure the rabbit is okay and that he still wants to keep him.

Hats off to you Ollitos! Should be more breeders like you out there making sure their stock is what the buyer truly wants and there is nothing wrong. Hoping all is well and the new owner of your buck is still thrilled with her purchase.

Karen

Lesson learned from this is to always check the buck as well as the doe before mating.

Miss M":2yd38ff1 said:
It could be, too, that he is just particularly dramatic about his conquests... :shock:

That's what I was thinking too except for two things -- this is his second breeding with good covering and the first time he didn't scream; and his penis was red and raw in places.<br /><br />__________ Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:28 am __________<br /><br />It just happened again! I matched up two entirely different does and bucks. After the 2nd covering, I pulled the buck out and checked his foot because I had noticed a blood spot in the pen. He was fine and obviously happy to have a doe in his hutch so I know his penis was fine when I put him back in. He bred her one more time and then screamed after he grunted. He has never done this before. He cleaned himself a bit. I took him back out and checked and sure enough... blood on his penis.

What is going on??

The does grew teeth? I'm sorry Ollitos it was the very first thing that popped into my twisted little brain :twisted: :oops:

The second thing that comes to mind is vent disease :(

I don't want to be an alarmist, but I don't like the sound of this at all. You may have vent disease in your rabbitry. According to the website below, not all rabbits show the lesions we associate with this disease. I would not breed any more rabbits until you are able to rule out vent disease.

Another problem that a buck might encounter is vent disease. If breeding is uncomfortable for him, he is likely to not pursue it. Since you are conducting a pre-breeding check, you may find the vent disease at that time. If the penis is red, swollen or blistered, do not breed at that time. Treat for vent disease and then retry the breeding. Consult your vet before treating for vent disease. I would use Combi-Pen (Pen B), given subcutaneously at a dose of 1/10 cc per pound, once a week for three injections. Because vent disease can be symptomless except for infertility, you may not be able to catch all cases by examination.

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-br ... wont-mate/

Does anyone know if there is a test they can do to determine if the problem is vent disease?

If it IS vent disease I need to figure out where it started. Right now, just the Silver Foxes have had the problem. I'm so so glad I keep breeding records!

Yes, knowing if there's a way to test for it would be a huge help!<br /><br />__________ Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:07 pm __________<br /><br />I just emailed the guy who bought my buck yesterday and told him not to breed him yet. He was planning on breeding to one of his does tomorrow.

So if it is vent disease, treat with antibiotics. I read that it is passed to the offspring. When can I treat the kits? What if the doe is pregnant? Can I treat her while pregnant? Will the disease still pass to the litter?

I have a feeling I know where this came from and I'm really, really mad.

This is all I have, right now.
http://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbit-syphilis.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/72228408/Rabbit-Diseases
"Rabbit Syphilis, Vent disease
Diagnosis is confirmed by Darkfieldexaminationof scrapings from the lesions for the presence of the spirochete Treponemaparaluis-cuniculiTreatment Treponematosiscan be treatedsuccessfully with three injections of Benzathinepenicillin with procaine penicillin G, 84,000IU/kg given IM at 7-day intervals.All animals from an infected colony must betreated to eradicate the diseaseThere are NO public health hazards associatedwith the disease.
"

__________ Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:21 pm __________

from the 1st link
"Transmission of vent disease in the vast majority of cases is through breeding. However it is possible to contract the disease through normal contact."
"In a few rabbits with vent disease, the still-infectious rabbit becomes asymptomatic. The outward lesions heal, yet the spirochete is still lurking in the bloodstream. If you breed a rabbit and the other animal comes down with rabbit syphilis, treat both animals."
"Kits and Rabbit Syphilis:
Do not breed infected rabbits. Besides the danger of spreading this infection throughout the herd, the kits themselves become infected by the infected does at kindling.

It is very dangerous to treat infected bunnies with penicillin - the bacterial balance in their intestines is still tenuous; a dose of antibiotics could very easily trigger a fatal diarrhea. If at all possible, it is safest to postpone treatment of youngsters until much closer to adulthood."

Is there anyway they could have been bit, while on pasture or an urine burn?

I bought two Silver Fox does. I think the vent disease came from them. I plan on emailing the breeder once I've calmed down.

None of the rabbits have had problems with this until I started trying to breed those two does. Now the bucks I put them with have the problem and I will have to dose all the does they have subsequently bred.

My understanding is that injecting penicillin subcutaneously is the way to go to avoid digestive upsets.

Ollitos, what a good thing you have your breeding records. If you can figure out how this got into your rabbitry, you will know how many rabbits you need to treat. Sorry I'm not more help on treatment. It's not my strong suit.

Right now, my biggest concerns are these:

- Can I treat pregnant does?
- How old do the kits need to be for treatment? Granted, most of them will be for meat and will be butchered at 10-12 weeks but I don't want them to be ill or in pain while growing out. We'll cull if we need to.

The biggest irony in this is that I just finished listening to a Nature's Harmony podcast where they detailed a chicken disease that wiped out their layers and meat birds and quarantining wouldn't have made a difference.

How long have you had the bucks? Could she have over used them, breeding all of her's, right before you bought them?
Trying to think of anther possible reason!

I bought the bucks from a different breeder when they were 8 weeks old. I bred those bucks to other does and did not have any problems until I bred them to the Silver Fox does.

Latest posts

Back