What does this mean?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
Both the buck and doe are NZ black. These kits are 10 weeks old, and the first litter out of our NZ black buck.

I've never seen this white before on the base of the ear, could this be from a scratch, or what would you guess this white spot means?

IMG-20120829-01551a.jpg

Same thing with the random white hairs along the back. This is a sister to the above doe.

IMG-20120829-01547a.jpg

The 3 does from this litter.

IMG-20120829-01549a.jpg

My gut feeling on the ear is that it is from an injury. The other doe just has some scattered white hairs.

They look like good little meat bricks though! Very healthy and shiny looking. :)

Thanks MSD! I just got a little nervous, because I just sold two of these does (and a buck from this litter).....my first rabbit sale! Yay! The guy bought them sight unseen, on trust, specifically because they are black NZ, and I don't remember that white on the ear. I know I've seen it in horses, where they get injured, and it grows back white, but I guess how can one really tell.

Will the stray white hairs on the back go away, or will they always be there? I'll keep that one here, so it won't really matter anyway, but I'm just curious.

They are very healthy, nice and shiny like you said, and very solid. We had hoped that this buck would fill in more on the shoulders when crossed with this particular doe, and he definitely has done that.

I don't know if the SWHs go away or not- maybe in some lines they do. My friends use bacon grease on their horses where they have white scars, and I have seen with my own eyes that it works!

Congrats on your first sale! I think the buyer will be happy with them- they look very nice to me. :) What are you going to spend all that money on? :money:

The expense to run the air conditioner in the rabbitry the next 4 days! 90's, and muggy again! LOL!!!! :lol:<br /><br />__________ Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am __________<br /><br />Oh, and thank you very much! :D

U
fuzzy9":2ipd19do said:
The expense to run the air conditioner in the rabbitry the next 4 days! 90's, and muggy again! LOL!!!! :lol:

__________ Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am __________

Oh, and thank you very much! :D
Really!! Its gonna get that hot again? :angry:

Thank you Karen! :D

Thank you for the info Mary Ann, it's nice to know. I'm actually going to let him have the other two, and keep the one with the stray hairs for myself.

Back