What does a baby steel look like?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
I've got a 2 week old Netherland that I thought sure was a black, until today in the sunshine I see some ticking around his neck and shoulders and a little on his haunches. It's not much but it's definitely there! Does it take awhile for a steel to get all the ticking? Would it look like a black until then? This baby is out of a broken opal and a himi. There is also an opal or blue otter baby (I can't tell yet...any tips on how to differentiate?) and one marked like a hotot that also has black stripes up his ears! Very interesting litter! :shock:

Thanks in advance for any input here!

They are born black and then get ticking. The himi could hide steel and it sounds like broken as well. 6weeks is the youngest steel picture I have
DSCN0870.jpg

I have a blue steel kit unfortunately but it looks different than Black steel, i'm not very known with this weird gene though.

321CIMG4449.jpg

Blue > Blue Steel > Opal
356CIMG4116.jpg

Blue Steel
837CIMG4117.jpg

And i suspect his aunt to be Steel too, i still need to check her out.
700CIMG4446.jpg

Honestly, Disney, the pic you have of the blue steel (where you're showing what the fur looks like underneath) kind of looks like the fur on my broken buck that I'm thinking is an opal. He's totally confusing me! I need to get a good pic of him in the light and see what you all think. I'll try to get pics up of all the babies too. Miss M, he's a cute little guy! I can't tell if the color (what little he has) is black or blue yet. OneAcreFarm, he sure doesn't have that much ticking. He really looks black at first glance. I'll see if I can figure out how to upload pics! Thanks for your input!

__________ Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:59 pm __________

Here are a couple pics of the broken buck. I hope they're clear enough. I'll try to get some good pics of the babies tomorrow and post them. This buck was sold to me as a broken blue. I knew immediately that he wasn't a blue. I at first thought he was a blue tort, then maybe an opal? Now with one of the babies possibly being a steel I'm wondering if he could be a blue steel? Any thoughts?<br /><br />__________ Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:01 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, and the nape of his neck is fawn...thought that might be a determining factor. I'd appreciate any info here...I have had mostly shadeds, and he's confusing me! I hate not knowing what I have! LOL

Attachments

• 0610022116.jpg
    0610022116.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 544
  • 0610022117.jpg
    0610022117.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 544
Back