What do you think?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Kevin is our lop-eared buck, about a year old. He's a pet rabbit that was given to us by some friends because their daughter wasn't wanting to take care of him. (After seeing the wooden hutch he was in, I can't blame her too much. Very fancy and nice-looking when new, but TOTALLY impractical.)

I'm thinking he's a Holland lop or a Holland lop cross. His previous owners don't know, but they're trying to find out for me. What do you think?

image.php

He looks about 11" long there, is that about right? He also looks like he has the relatively blunt-nosed profile of a Holland lop. How much does he weigh?

Not that I'm an expert, but I went through a lot of sites trying to identify Thumper, and finally decided he was getting too big to be a Holland lop, so I figure he's a minilop.

I agree that he looks more like a Mini Lop or Mini Lop cross than a Holland.

He is cute! I love Mini Lops!

Lauren

Miss M":qixrgztu said:
He looks about 11" long there, is that about right? He also looks like he has the relatively blunt-nosed profile of a Holland lop. How much does he weigh?
He's closer to 14", and he weighs about 7 lb.

Not that I'm an expert, but I went through a lot of sites trying to identify Thumper, and finally decided he was getting too big to be a Holland lop, so I figure he's a minilop.
Oh, I thought that mini-lops were smaller than Hollands. I really don't know much about lops at all. Never planned on owning one, but here he is! :roll:

I would say Mini lop I had a holland lop and he was only 3lbs they are very small. He looks like he has more ear control then most but I love the tri color. Verry cute bun.

trinityoaks":396vaci2 said:
Oh, I thought that mini-lops were smaller than Hollands. I really don't know much about lops at all. Never planned on owning one, but here he is! :roll:

I thought that too, when I started looking it up, and I got really confused. You think mini = smallest. But I finally figured out that Hollands were actually smaller than minis.

Holland lops are actual dwarf lops. Minilops are the smallest non-dwarf lop. Hollands (and American Fuzzy Lops, which are a type of Holland) max out generally at 3.5 - 4 pounds. Adult minilops generally run 4.5 - 6.5 pounds. Thumper is just below 5 pounds, and is not fat at all, and so cannot be a Holland.

I'm guessing that Kevin is a biggish minilop, or a minilop cross. I noticed his ear control too, so he may be crossed with a non-lop-eared breed. Thumper's a lop, and Pearl is not, and some of their offspring usually have their ears down, but can lift them if they really want to.

I wasn't even ready to own a rabbit when Thumper showed up. He was abandoned outside, and Shaygetz brought him home. Now he's the proud buck of a meat rabbit herd! :) He may not be big, but as long as I can get his babies near five pounds, that's good enough. :lol:

Oh -- one more thing. Kevin is absolutely adorable! :)

size doesn't always mean a thing though.

Two small holland lops (3 lbers) bred had a daughter who was almost 6 lbs. Other than the fact that she was big she looked and acted holland lop.

I was looking more at his head and boy type looks more like a mini lop.

Here is Cocco he is a holland lop look how small his head is. Small ears and his body type.

019.jpg

ladysown":32xtby3y said:
size doesn't always mean a thing though.

Two small holland lops (3 lbers) bred had a daughter who was almost 6 lbs. Other than the fact that she was big she looked and acted holland lop.

That is true, you draw out a punnett square with all the possibilities, and you can get some rare but interesting things going on. That's funny getting a 6 lb. bun from 3 lb. Hollands! Surprise! :p

Just looking at his stats and the shape of his head, though, especially when compared to the one Jasharia posted, I'm thinking Kevin is a minilop that's a bit on the big side, or a minilop cross. I had forgotten just how blunt Hollands' noses are. Thumper's definitely no Holland!

Mini Lops actually named as such because they are miniature version of the French Lop. I believe that was all before the Hollands came into the picture, or in complete different areas or something like that.

To make things even more complicated, overseas (at least in England) what we call a Holland Lop, they call a Mini Lop. They're Mini Lop is called something else....

lyndseyrk":1rwde28q said:
To make things even more complicated, overseas (at least in England) what we call a Holland Lop, they call a Mini Lop. They're Mini Lop is called something else....

I remember reading something along those lines, too! Talk about confusing! :stars: :lol:

Man, the lops in the uk rabbit club confuse the heck out of me. Seems like they have 50 billion lop breeds and some of them I can't tell the difference between. Don't they have a plush lop? They call the fuzzy lop a cashmere lop, I think. There's a French lop, but there's also a German lop? I got lost somewhere trying to figure them all out.

That holland rabbit out of two 3 pound rabbits was 6 lbs. because it didn't recieve a dwarf gene. Both parents carry one dwarf and one normal gene, they just passed on the two normal genes to that one. If they had passed 2 dwarf genes it would have been a peanut and not survived.Kevin could be a Holland just a larger one. He certainly has a mug head! He is lacking in crown which is why he can control his ears so much.

Devon's Mom Lauren":1snyul4k said:
Here is a link to some real nice Mini Lops...http://www.sunnybrookrabbitry.net/MLBucks.html
here is a link to some awsome Holland Lops..http://www.thfsaynora.com/bucks.htm
As you can see there is a bit of difference in body type, Minis have a very high topline and are posed down while Hollands are much shorter in body and sit up.
I'm not up on show terminology, but it seems to me that the Hollands have more of the smashed-face look and shorter ears than the minis. I'm pretty well convinced now that Kevin is either a minilop or a minilop cross. He is a sweet bun, although still rather shy.

I thought he looked like an American too. Most likely, New Zealand is a bad guy, I agree that New Zealand non-commercial entertainment. I see the quality of venison, and I had the money from the company. The boy was his kind of long, flat body. Your skin is a bit different from yours as well. I recently fired and replaced by a child who has a body type better.

I also agree that he looks more like an Mini Lop or Mini Lop cross than a Holland.

I love the Mini-race! He's cute!

Latest posts

Back