What do you think of this idea for lops/meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy

Reaction score
This year, in addition to my meat rabbits I also bred some lops and mini rexes to sell as pets to help off-set the costs of feeding the meat rabbits. Didn't like the mini rexes, they are going away. However, I loved the lops!! and so did everyone else. The lops sold out faster than a single mini rex sold.

The biggest drawback to the lops is that they only had 3 babies.

So this is what I did:
I bred my lop doe with my satin buck. They had 3 beautiful babies that all have lop ears. I saved the 2 does hoping they will take after the satin side on how many babies they have. My plan is to breed them back to a satin buck most of the time so the babies will be 3/4 satin for meat rabbits, but in the spring I plan to breed them to the lop buck in time to have 3/4 lop babies to sell before Easter.

With this plan, I am hoping to be able provide both meat and pets with the same does and be able to have more than 3 lops per litter.

Are there any flaws in my plan I am not seeing?

That sounds like a splendid idea! I think you need to go even further and get "Satinized" lops! That almost looks like "sanitized", doesn't it? lol

I must see them! :popcorn: Where are the pics?!?

Btw, I love your avatar pic! And your approach to would-be suitors. When Queenpup is of an age we plan on letting the boys see her shooting skills! :twisted:

After over a year on rabbit talk, I finally got an avatar.

The buns are just beautiful! Two are broken and one is chocolate. I was so excited when I discovered my first ever chocolate was a doe and I could keep her for breeding! Now I must march myself out to the pen to get a good pic of them to show you. They are 8-9 weeks old now.

Edit to add: the momma was a tan lop out of unknown colors and the daddy was a broken black satin with nothing but brokens and blacks in it's pedi. I was afraid all the babies would be black or broken black and I was shocked that known of them were. The satin I plan to breed them with is a blue satin with blues in its pedi and the lop I plan to breed them with is a tan of unknown colors so who knows what I will get out of them. I love surprises!

Latest posts

Back