What do you think of this hay?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got this bale and it doesnt seem very green to me at all. My husband is unsure whether he even wants to give it to the buns, but I don't want to waste a whole bale if its okay. I'm attaching some pictures. The bale actually looks better in the photos than in real life because I have a green roof on the porch. Do you think its okay to give??

2013-04-22 11.51.01.jpg
2013-04-22 11.51.47.jpg
2013-04-22 11.52.08.jpg

Hay does not need to be green to be ok. Different types of hay and the time of year and cutting of the hay are what dictate its color and there are a variety of ranges. Think of wild rabbits that eat everything and anything they can find of every imaginable color.

Open the bale up and check for any signs of moisture or powdery mold. If you don't find either, then feed away.

If the hay was by a window the sun will bleach it but it is still good. To me it looks like it was cut late, it will have more fibre and less protein but so as long as the hay is just for roughage and ot their main diet you should be fine.

You can smell for mold as well.

Latest posts

Back