What do you think about this Mini Rex doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skysthelimit":34bep5bi said:
They are quite lovely, and I wish Standard Rexes had BEW, I might raise them. As it is, I am not a fan of REW.

The REW are growing on me. :? But I would prefer BEW.

No, it's not an acceptable color.

although minis and standards have the same coat, they don't look the same, don't pose the same and don't accept the same colors. BEW, tort and sable point are not accepted Standard Rex colors.

skysthelimit":7bhdv0c0 said:

although minis and standards have the same coat, they don't look the same, don't pose the same and don't accept the same colors. BEW, tort and sable point are not accepted Standard Rex colors.

Can you explain this to me? I thought that body wise they were the same. They look quite similar to me.

Whipple":37ek258r said:
skysthelimit":37ek258r said:

Can you explain this to me? I thought that body wise they were the same. They look quite similar to me.

Similar but not the same. Standard Rex is a commercial body type and mini Rex is a compact body type. Minis should be of a shorter body, more compact, ball like shape, with more height than you would see on a Standard Rex. That seems to be the main emphasis to MR show breeders, that height. I could put a mini Rex shaped Rex on a Rex table and probably be ok, but I could never put a Standard Rex shaped mini Rex on a mini Rex table and win.

I love the vienna markings and the blue eyes. Blue eyes on rabbits are so beautiful. I just read what Honorine wrote about REW and chocolate and sable are also not supposed to not be bred into a BEW line because it adds a reddish cast to the eye. I found a really good site about breeding BEW and here is the link: http://www.firedoverabbitry.com/. But she is beautiful and her eyes look really blue in the photos.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I was considering bringing in a mini rex and see what it does for my meat bunnies.

LadyKarli":jwqzt4k8 said:
Nah I am not showing but she better be pure bred! I have pedigree papers! Parents were Supposed to have come from some breeder called Berlena. Supposed to be known for her blue eyed Mini Rex.

I know Berlena personally,bought many of my stock from her, and she is a purebred vienna marked mini rex (maybe with summer ears, although you can't tell for sure just from picks). Very cute! I love vienna marked babies...does she have blue eyes?

I don't recall seeing any in ARBA with the white face and feet. But I am new as well and could have missed something. I just have a problem with people playing around with breeding not true to the type/breed. We get enough that are not show quality out of the ones we try to breed for show to keep the pet population booming. Breeding ones who do not meet show standards will "always" (I hate to say always and never...) give you results that are less than show quality. But if you are going for a sweet little pet, then you look to have just what you are looking for:)

questforknowledge":1rottxv8 said:
I don't recall seeing any in ARBA with the white face and feet. But I am new as well and could have missed something. I just have a problem with people playing around with breeding not true to the type/breed. We get enough that are not show quality out of the ones we try to breed for show to keep the pet population booming. Breeding ones who do not meet show standards will "always" (I hate to say always and never...) give you results that are less than show quality. But if you are going for a sweet little pet, then you look to have just what you are looking for:)

Yes I believe you did miss something. I wouldn't call this playing around. BEW is an accepted color http://www.nmrrc.net/apps/photos/album?albumid=4522463, and when you are breeding for BEW, sometimes you have to mix them with colors to get the body type or fur type. This leaves you with vienna marked kits, and they are very useful for other peoples BEW programs.

questforknowledge":2z8kwb8x said:
Breeding ones who do not meet show standards will "always" (I hate to say always and never...) give you results that are less than show quality.

I have to disagree with this. In a lot of the dwarf breeds, BUD's (Big Ugly Does) are used as breeding animals because they have fewer problems delivering kits. I think they are usually "false dwarfs", but I may be incorrect- I breed standard Rex, and just started with Jersey Woolys which are a dwarf breed.

A lot of animals are used in breeding programs (dog, horse, rabbit, etc.) which don't necessarily meet the standard themselves, but produce outstanding offspring. An example I am familiar with is in Great Danes. The Blue Merles, which are a DQ'd color, are very valuable in a Mantle breeding program because they throw a good pattern.

And a lot of dwarf breeds, such as hollands do not breed true, so you don't always get rid of a doe or buck that's not quite show quality. Over and over again I hear how two GC produced nothing and the ugly oversized doe that was bred on a whim produces the best normal sized kits. You gotta know your lines and your breeding goals.

Back