What do you feed your show rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopsofun

Reaction score
What do you feed your show rabbits, or is is this an "ancient Chinese secret"? ;) I have Mana Pro I keep in the feeders and I give them a handful of T&A hay once a day.

i give mine Manna Sho and hay. If they are lacking in condition then I will give them a teaspoon of calf manna with their pettlets. I also give a small handfull of hay every day with their meal.

tm_bunnyloft":23u7fbtd said:
i give mine Manna Sho and hay. If they are lacking in condition then I will give them a teaspoon of calf manna with their pettlets. I also give a small handfull of hay every day with their meal.
Thanks. So Calf Mana is a good supplement to mix in with there main pellet. Haven't found any around here yet.

Calf manna, as I understand it has a short shelf life and has tendency to mold if not careful. It is a corn based pellet so it is high in protein. So can be used for nursing mothers. Also can be used for weight gain but caution if used in summer heat. I use a mixture of pellet food, I use a ratio of 2:1. 2 parts alfalfa based feed to 1 part timothy based feed. I do give them hay daily(I do switch it around) I am using a timothy/orchard grass mix now. I supplement there food with an occasional tablespoon of a seed mixture(barley/safflower/flax/BOSS(Black Oil Sunflower Seed)& rolled oats). I do also give some kale or parsley every couple days in the evening and once a week maybe a slice of banana. I raise strictly Havana's for show.

lopsofun":2l6lph4c said:
Thanks. So Calf Mana is a good supplement to mix in with there main pellet. Haven't found any around here yet.

Calf Manna should not be mixed with their pellets, it should be fed separately or as a top dressing. Otherwise, the rabbits may start digging out the pellets to get to the Calf Manna and waste feed. I use this only for Nursing does, and I give only 1 TBLSP per rabbit, per day.

With my Mini Lops, I'm feeding Manna Pro with a supplement of 1 TBSP of Calf Manna a day. I have begun giving hay cubes only in the morning (Since they were wasting WAY too much regular hay) and then pellets at night. I know that too much protein can cause them to blow their coat again, so I've stopped giving it to those that are in perfect condition. I love the results and my rabbits look and feel wonderful.

LoF,

After our conversation on feed and what you told me, we are feeding Manna Pro Sho and I think you are feeding Manna Pro Pro. I didn't see any "Sho" on the shelf @ TSC but they obviously have it in the back since we've gotten it at the local TSC. Also the Calf Manna, a Manna Pro product, is usually with the horse feeds at TSC. There are usually small bags on the shelf but I had to ask for and go into the back to get the 50 lb bag for the pigs. We feed it as a top dress for skin and hair with them but do not feel we need to add it for rabbits with the "Sho" rabbit feed. Questions? We'll see you Tuesday night or give me a call.

Bill":1t5q6d1l said:
LoF,

After our conversation on feed and what you told me, we are feeding Manna Pro Sho and I think you are feeding Manna Pro Pro. I didn't see any "Sho" on the shelf @ TSC but they obviously have it in the back since we've gotten it at the local TSC. Also the Calf Manna, a Manna Pro product, is usually with the horse feeds at TSC. There are usually small bags on the shelf but I had to ask for and go into the back to get the 50 lb bag for the pigs. We feed it as a top dress for skin and hair with them but do not feel we need to add it for rabbits with the "Sho" rabbit feed. Questions? We'll see you Tuesday night or give me a call.

Thanks Bill. I need to ask for it I guess. I need some Calf Manna when my doe is expecting. I have some time before that though.

What do you feed your rabbits?
*from rabbitgeek notes 7/30/08

Below is my standard blurb on feed:
I usually feed Purina Complete (16% protein) and Purina Professional
(18% protein). Actually I mix them together to create an average
17% protein feed. Lately I've been using Purina Show Formula (16%)
mixed with the Purina Professional.

I have small rabbits, Holland Lops and Dutch as well as large
rabbits like American Blues, French Lops and Angoras.

The Angoras and Americans do well with higher protein requirement
but the protein is not so high as to create problems with the
smaller breeds.

This has been our primary feed for many years. We occasionally try
another feed but when the flesh condition drops, we switch back.

It may not be the fault of the other feed. Any switch in feed is
stressful and will cause some loss of condition. We should probably
switch for 6 months to really test it a new feed.

But when we have won many Best of Breed awards with different
breeds on the Purina feed, we always wind up back on the Purina.

When you find a feed that your rabbits do well on, stick with it. As
you breed, you are selecting for rabbits that will do well on the feed
you are giving it.

Other considerations are: I can usually buy feed at a feed store on
my way to work, no extra trips required. If they are out of stock,
there are two other dealers within easy driving distance. Purina has
the easy to read date code printed on the bottom paper strip, no 10
digit date codes to decipher.

I hope this info helps.
Have a good day!

OneAcreFarm":2h0rc7fo said:
lopsofun":2h0rc7fo said:

Calf Manna should not be mixed with their pellets, it should be fed separately or as a top dressing. Otherwise, the rabbits may start digging out the pellets to get to the Calf Manna and waste feed. I use this only for Nursing does, and I give only 1 TBLSP per rabbit, per day.

And it's usually a real treat to watch the whole litter go after calf manna when it's put on top of the feed, too. It turns into an "every bun for itself" feeding frenzy which would make a shark proud. Poor mama doe normally gets left out, too.<br /><br />__________ Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:39 am __________<br /><br />
lopsofun":2h0rc7fo said:
What do you feed your show rabbits, or is is this an "ancient Chinese secret"? ;) I have Mana Pro I keep in the feeders and I give them a handful of T&A hay once a day.

I normally just feed them pellets and hay, same as usual. I have tried supplements before, but found they have an adverse effect on apetites. The moment I feed any supplement and see the rabbits not eating their normal pelleted feed, the supplement feeding stops.

I feed my show rabbits the same thing I feed my production rabbits because they're the same rabbits when my rabbits are done being shown they go into production.

I don't believe there is any need to supplement unless you don't have access to quality feed. If you have quality feed and you still have to supplement then there is an issue with inferior genetics in the rabbits.

No fuss no muss is easier on the pocket book.

DevonW":39ee9qt9 said:
If you have quality feed and you still have to supplement then there is an issue with inferior genetics in the rabbits.

I'm starting to feel that way about every aspect of rabbit raising.

skysthelimit":uefu8269 said:
DevonW":uefu8269 said:
If you have quality feed and you still have to supplement then there is an issue with inferior genetics in the rabbits.

I'm starting to feel that way about every aspect of rabbit raising.

I think genetics for some reason are greatly underestimated when it comes to rabbits.

Back