What do you feed/use?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can have all their regular foods but cut back on the pellets as you add more turkey or hog.

Here the hog grower is cheaper than rabbit pellets by about $3.00 but the turkey is about the same price. Be sure the food is not medicated in any way! This is VERY important.

Dood":bxxpsvm2 said:
Turkey and hog are pelleted rations, just like rabbit pellets, but for turkeys and pigs. These animals need more protein in their diet so the feeds typically have around 25% protein.

I've not read the ingredients label for turkey and hog pellets but seems there is a good chance for animal products to be used for the protein in those. Fine for turkeys and pigs but I would not want to feed my herbivore rabbits animal products.

Plants that are high protein:

alfalfa (obvious one)
clover
mulberry leaves
vetch
willow
mimosa leaves
kale
rape leaves

Oh, I didnt think of that and it might be a possibility.

Animal products ( other than fish oils) in livestock feeds have has been banned in Canada for a while now. I don't know about the States.

I personally don't think it would be a problem even if there was some meat meal in the mix.

Dood":2jsfl3qx said:
Oh, I didnt think of that and it might be a possibility.

Animal products ( other than fish oils) in livestock feeds have has been banned in Canada for a while now. I don't know about the States.

I personally don't think it would be a problem even if there was some meat meal in the mix.

Dood, Dood, Dood...this is the USA we are talking about here...of course they haven't banned the use of cheap animal products in feeds! We are the land of "if it is cheap, use it!" and "if we have it in abundance, find a way to make money off it"....sigh...

Can you tell I don't trust my gov'mint to "protect" me or my animals?

I feed mine Manna Pro Pro (16%)(always have). To that I make a mix that is approx. 50% rolled oats, 25% flaxseed, 25% boss and topdress with (1) teaspoon per rabbit as a treat. Hay is provided pretty much free choice. If the feeder in the cage is empty or getting there, I re-fill it.

I feed Oren Reynolds formula from one of the Heinold Mills. The freshest feed I've ever seen, mainly because I pick it up fresh from the mill in Illinois. At the 3 month mark, it has less dust and fine particles in it than any feed I've ever used. Occasionally I test a "Plan B" feed on a portion of my herd to switch to in case I cannot make it to the mill when I absolutely have to get some more of it. Right now, that Plan B feed is Bluebonnet Mills 16%.

The amounts vary from rabbit to rabbit based upon consumption, but it generally works out somewhere between 3/4th's of a cup, to a full cup. Again, it varies from day to day because I want to feed them just a little less than they'll consume in a single day.

They also get hay as needed, well at least most of them. Some won't eat it, and I don't bother leaving it in front of them if they won't do so. I also occasionally feed them stalks of celery.

Ok, so Dood, if I use the "dress" ( turkey/hog) feed don't
Use pellets?
And these feed is a treat? So tsp per serving? I feed
Twice daily.

I might just feed BOSS to my buck(s) in the
Winter I will just have to see I guess.

It's just that my pellets are low in protein so
I'm not meeting the protein requirement and need
To add more to there diet as the greens and hay
Isn't (if any) protein. He is getting parsley/cilentro
With the greens.

I have heard good things with ACV in the
Water so think I will do that too.<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:25 pm __________<br /><br />And since you say the hog/ turkey pellets/feed is
Really high in protein, that's OK that the protein
Is that high?

I'm only giving 1/4c and a tsp of pellets x2 daily.
So if I do the feed cut back to maybe 1/4c and tsp
X1 daily? Or give the feed one meal and reg pellets
The other?

What do you suggest? Sorry for being dumb at this.

I'm in the process of converting my herd over to oats. However, when feeding pellets, I feed Small World Complete Rabbit Feed. I think it's 16% protein and doesn't contain any corn and after tax I was paying around $8 for 25#. On average, my bucks get between 1/2 cup to a full cup of pellets, and all my does get 1 cup unless they're nursing (and the amount they get depends on their condition). They also get free choice alfalfa cubes that are between 16-17% protein depending on the brand I get and I free feed grass hay (usually orchard grass is all I can find up here). Lastly, I also top dressed with BOSS, mana pro, and bird seed as needed.

Right now, though, I'm converting over to a grain mix that contains whole oats, barley, wheat, and shredded (molasses free) beet pulp. They are still getting free choice cubes and hay. During the winter I intend to step up the usage of BOSS since it snows, but it will depend on how everyone's doing. All of my bags of oats and pulp run me about $16 for each 50# bag, but I anticipate feeding a lot less. I'm already noticing that the kits are putting on weight a bit better, and everyone all around seems to be satiated a bit better.

I also feed greens as I can get them. Right now they're chowing down on some sunflower leaves/stalks and rosebush branches that I brought down when we moved. I also have plenty of dandelion (though that's starting to slow down now that the weather is getting cooler). I've also taken to feeding them any safe, raw, produce that I have after preparing meals.

Feeding the turkey/hog as a treat is a good analogy. I feel the rabbits body to see who needs more and who's needs less. Does who are feeding kits and weaned kits get as much rabbit pellets as they can eat and always have a full feeder.

What size rabbits do you have? 1/2 cup a day seems a bit low for a 10lb meat breed.

I feed 1/4c x2 of pellets. I have
Dutches right now.

So do I cut the pellets off and just do the feed
All together or do pellets one feeding and "dress"
The other feeding?

Just don't want to feed too much or hurt
Anything, since I'm not familiar with kind
Of feed need to know what I'm doing?

If your rabbits are doing well on 1/4 cup twice a day then keep giving them that much.

Feed them 1/4 cup of rabbit pellets minus a teaspoon and add a teaspoon of turkey or hog so they are still getting 1/4 twice a day in total. Then gradually remove more of the rabbit pellets and replace with turkey or hog but I would not give more than a heaping tablespoon twice a day of the hog or turkey to a 5-6lb Dutch.

They can have as much hay as they'd like and you can still give them some greens.

If they seem to getting fat then feed less rabbit pellets, turkey or hog pellets or greens.

It's hog or turkey pellets right that I'm looking for?
Where can I pick this up at? Would fleet farm
Have it?

Will the bag say if it's medicated and what
Terms or things I need to look for so I know
If it's medicated or not?

Duck grower could also work. All duck feed is unmedicated. They don't medicate duck feed because it's toxic to ducks. Our duck grower is 18% protein. Pig is around %16 and turkey 25%.

We like to give our rabbits pressed straight tomothy hay or pressed timothy/alfafa cubes. We buy bags of the pressed cubes at our feed store. Our rabbits love nawing on them, as the cubes are hard and about 2 inches square. Works great during the months before we get our fall/winter hay in.<br /><br />__________ Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:22 pm __________<br /><br />Farm and livestock supply stores will carry the feed. You can call around first.
The feed bags tag will say whether or not they are medicated. The farm store employees should know too. It should be in their computer if they carry it or not. Some places may have to special order non medicated feed for livestock. Medicated is more the norm.... At least in my area.
Ask for pelleted form of whatever you choose as some feed comes in both crumble or pellets.

What's the best? Crumble or pellet? Just a personal
Preference?<br /><br />__________ Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:26 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, and the medicated can't be given
To rabbits correct? Thanks for
Letting me know that most of the "dress"
Is medicated. I will ask someone then and
Hopefully they know what they are asking about
At the store . Lol

I guess it wouldnt matter too much...crumble would probably be more messy and dusty... But you'd only be sprinkling a little on top anyways. With our birds we like pellets cause they waste less.

We feed rabbit pellets, and a little grain sparingly (whatever i have on hand) usually a tiny bit of horse sweet feed. Loose hay and pressed hay cubes. I have a heated rabbitry so if i give to much of the rich stuff like grain and BOSS i run the risk of my rabbits blowing their coat.

Frosted Rabbit feeds a Seminole Wellness Senior Horse feed, it's wonderful stuff, filled with all sorts oils and herbs. I can't get that where I'm at.

Just the MannaPro now, and some BOSS, which the Jersey Woolies refused to eat. Strange. I don't do anything with corn anymore.

I am now having great success with the hay cubes, Alfalfa/timothy. I might try the Alfalfa/oats ones next time.

Sky, I am glad to see you are doing well with your rabbits now, and that you didn't give up. Most people would have quit if they found themselves facing what you went through this spring and summer. :giraffe:

I feed Mana Pro formula. I used to feed Purina Rabbit Chow and thought the rabbits did fine on it. I switched mainly because Tractor Supply was often out. The carry three types of Mana (Pro, Sho, Gro). I figure if they are ever out of Pro I'd just grab a bag of the other. Several of my rabbits get hay, others get hay cubes. I'd like to switch everyone over to the cube. On my wire bottom cages (most) there is too much waste with hay and I haven't gotten around to trying hay racks. I feed Boss on a regular basis about 1 tsp every day or two.

JDWest":3mn7bf5e said:
I guess it wouldnt matter too much...crumble would probably be more messy and dusty... But you'd only be sprinkling a little on top anyways. With our birds we like pellets cause they waste less.

We feed rabbit pellets, and a little grain sparingly (whatever i have on hand) usually a tiny bit of horse sweet feed. Loose hay and pressed hay cubes. I have a heated rabbitry so if i give to much of the rich stuff like grain and BOSS i run the risk of my rabbits blowing their coat.

I have heard that napping if they get too hot
For the feed such as BOSS.<br /><br />__________ Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:53 am __________<br /><br />How frustrrating!!! Went to felt and the sales man was
Not helpful at all. So. The grower that I'm looking for
Is for hogs or turkeys right? They can't have the chicken
Grower? They have chicken grower but the hog grower
Is medicated and the guy didn't know his head from
His butt when I was asking.

Chicken grower is definitely medicated.

Since you only have 2 Dutch rabbits, feeding a tablespoon or so each day of raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds might be your best bet.

I have 11 breeders weighing 9-12 pounds and 20-100 kits at any one time so I quickly go through a 50lb bag and we have it on the farm for the pigs already.

Back