what do you call this color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boundarybunnyco

Reaction score
what color is this kit? it's mother is a broken red meat mutt and the father is supposed to be a chinchilla.

downsized_0301121811a.jpg

downsized_0301121811.jpg

I know the pictures aren't great, the kit is kind of an orangey tan with grey on the bottom.

Too dark but tort probably. That's a red without an agouti gene. Does it look kind of like this
DSCN0888.jpg

If so an odd thing to get from a chinchilla.

I thought a shagouti would mean a rabbit that was agouti with C locus genes. An agouti ee is simply a red, fawn, et... A self with ee is a tort. There is no agouti/tort mix. One is agouti and one is self. Chin could be in there with self (not agouti or you'd have either chin or ermine) mucking things up a little with the tort but I think it just sounds like a tort.

The chin buck would be Aa cchd_ Ee.

The red doe would be Aa C_ ee.

The kit would be aa C_ ee. One a and one e from each parent, plus the C from the mother.

The chin could carry self a and nonextension e to make a tort. It's just a bit odd to breed a chin with such genetics is all. The pedigree would be a bit interesting on that one.

Just so you know as they get older the grey cleans up and you get a brown rabbit with black points to a varying degree of quality. Look up cinnamons and those are a breed of clean torts.

I realize I don't have a lot of experience with rabbit breeds, but those ears look like "lop ears" to me :lol:

Back