What Do I Have here And What Can I Infer About the Parents?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
Okeydokey. I have lots of questions. This is my son's doe Streak:

IMG_0480.jpg

I assume her to be silver-tipped steel. Is that correct? I was told by the knowledgeable folks here at RT that she was either silver or gold-tipped steel. How do you tell the difference?

Here is her 21 day old litter with a REW buck:

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

What color are the bluish rabbits called. I take it from the white patches that they are agouti. Is that correct?

Can I expect the black kit to be a silver-tipped steel like mommy?

Is this the correct code for the mother:Aa B_ cchd Dd EsE? Am I assuming to much?

What does the litter tell me about the REW sire? I have read that the code for an REW would be: aa B_ cc D_ E_. Is this correct? The REW thing kind of confuses me. If the cc genes on the C locus cover everything else up how can we know what is at the other loci without breeding? Am I thinking about the effects of the albino genes wrongly?

Sorry for so many questions but I know lots of you already have a grasp on this and I don't really have anyone else to bounce this stuff off of.

I cannot tell whether or not those are agouti markings, I'd need to see eye circles and white in the ears.

The unfortunate thing about REW, and the main reason I dislike them, is you cannot know anything definitive about them until you breed them, since REW covers every color. From the picture, those look like blacks and maybe chins? I can't really tell. If chin, then maybe not black but self chin? Or that could turn out to eventually be another steel.

skysthelimit":2g1ogqo1 said:
I cannot tell whether or not those are agouti markings, I'd need to see eye circles and white in the ears.

The unfortunate thing about REW, and the main reason I dislike them, is you cannot know anything definitive about them until you breed them, since REW covers every color. From the picture, those look like blacks and maybe chins? I can't really tell. If chin, then maybe not black but self chin? Or that could turn out to eventually be another steel.
\

I will try and get better pics of the kits in the morning Sky.

There is a lot of confusion with steel. As ladysown pointed out, that black may not be black in a few weeks.

skysthelimit":1s8w85eb said:
There is a lot of confusion with steel. As ladysown pointed out, that black may not be black in a few weeks.

Yea I expect her to develop ticking to be honest. She looks very similar to he dam when she was younger. If I remember correctly the dam was a couple of months old before we realized she wasn't black.<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:10 pm __________<br /><br />Here are some hopefully better pics of the colored kits:

Here is the black. I think she will be a steel like mom:

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

Here is one of the blues. I am hoping she is blue chin.

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Latest posts

Back