What could have caused the kits to have mucous in poops if it wasn’t coccidia

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLY

Reaction score
So recently my doe gave birth to two bunnies and she has been feeding them to full belly everyday to an extend where I feel like she’s over feeding. They started to have mucous in poops when they were about one week old and it got worse and worse. However, everyday I checked on them they looked to grow and gain weight no problem, until one day a breeder told me they looked to have coccidia and if I don’t treat them they’ll die.
Obviously I freaked out, I was nervous about medicating 12 days old kits but she said this is my only option. So instead of taking them to the vet, I treated them myself with an antibiotic called Toltrazuril that’s meant for treating coccidia. The day after they both died(I think I overdosed)
After that I took their poop sample(along with their mom’s) to the vet, and turns out neither had coccidia.
So my question is, has anyone experienced the same? The bunnies were acting fine til I treated them and they lost weight overnight and died. I thought about it hard, and I really want to find out if it wasn’t coccidia that caused them to have mucous in poops what else could it be? The mom has a foster kid who I’m raising on my own now and that bunny has some mucous in poops too…(her poops are also green). This time I didn’t give her antibiotics but just a little benebac hopefully to stop the symptoms.
I really want to know what could have caused the GI problem and what should I do in that case to prevent that happening again in the future🙏I’ll attach their buttons’ pics when they were alive to help you guys get a better idea. I appreciate any input🙏

honestly, scours in kits is hard to diagnose. Next time... treat MOM and she'll treat the kits through her milk supply. but I think your issue was not illness but over-supply of milk.

I don't medicate babies, but I do feed moms a medicated feed when they have little kits.

99% of the time that does the trick but your odd kit, particularly if you have a small litter, will scour. Probably from too much milk. How to handle that is tricky. If you remove from mom for one feeding daily, you risk mom getting mastitis. This is why breeding a couple or three does at the same time is helpful. Small litters can be fostered out OR kits divided up to make the nursing more even. I find this works the best of everything.

So recently my doe gave birth to two bunnies and she has been feeding them to full belly everyday to an extend where I feel like she’s over feeding. They started to have mucous in poops when they were about one week old and it got worse and worse. However, everyday I checked on them they looked to grow and gain weight no problem, until one day a breeder told me they looked to have coccidia and if I don’t treat them they’ll die.
Obviously I freaked out, I was nervous about medicating 12 days old kits but she said this is my only option. So instead of taking them to the vet, I treated them myself with an antibiotic called Toltrazuril that’s meant for treating coccidia. The day after they both died(I think I overdosed)
After that I took their poop sample(along with their mom’s) to the vet, and turns out neither had coccidia.
So my question is, has anyone experienced the same? The bunnies were acting fine til I treated them and they lost weight overnight and died. I thought about it hard, and I really want to find out if it wasn’t coccidia that caused them to have mucous in poops what else could it be? The mom has a foster kid who I’m raising on my own now and that bunny has some mucous in poops too…(her poops are also green). This time I didn’t give her antibiotics but just a little benebac hopefully to stop the symptoms.
I really want to know what could have caused the GI problem and what should I do in that case to prevent that happening again in the future🙏I’ll attach their buttons’ pics when they were alive to help you guys get a better idea. I appreciate any input🙏
I’ve had a similar problem. I’m not sure what to do either.

Latest posts

Back