What color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I had six babies most of them look like this one May 11, 2015 9-52-03 PM.jpg They look almost black but most have pink bellies and then there is one *No picture yet will add some later* that is a cream color. <br /><br /> -- Tue May 12, 2015 10:31 am -- <br /><br /> Question does a black otter have a pink belly and look like the baby above? They all have the pink ears and some have pink bellies but the amount of pink varies on each

It's highly unlikely the white or chinchilla carries tan and the tort cannot carry it of it would be an otter so they are likely chinchilla coloured kits but time will tell

I looked it up online and they look like the black otter babies. When my two chins had babies they were gray looking from the get go these babies look black! this is the buck I think got with her [album]3093[/album] I don't know his background whatsoever. I just know he is a lop. Pet shop lop to be exact. But yeah this is the mum and her mum
Mum[album]3095[/album]
Her mum[album]3094[/album]

Your 'tort' does not look like a tort to me.

I think the broken buck might be a chocolate tri-color?? Or maybe just a broken chocolate? He has the butterfly on his nose, but I do not see dark 'tort' markings on his feet or belly.

The REW mom could be just about anything, in my understanding, probably a Chin from her mom?

Susie570":3pcxca61 said:

I think the broken buck might be a chocolate tri-color?? Or maybe just a broken chocolate? He has the butterfly on his nose, but I do not see dark 'tort' markings on his feet or belly.

The REW mom could be just about anything, in my understanding, probably a Chin from her mom?

I think it's a tort. The ears and nose are darker. and the broken pattern is hiding any feet or belly markings.

Susie570":iipwu042 said:

I googled Lop colors that's where I got chocolate torte. he has that orange white brown color. He may be a broken chocolate. Her mom and dad are both Chin in color.

ButtonsPalace":i80t0xc9 said:
Susie570":i80t0xc9 said:

I googled Lop colors that's where I got chocolate torte. he has that orange white brown color. He may be a broken chocolate. Her mom and dad are both Chin in color.

A chocolate based rabbit will not have any black on it anywhere. Not one hair.

It's a much lighter color than a black based tort. Here are some pics of a chocolate tort.

[album]2786[/album][album]2692[/album][album]2664[/album][album]2590[/album]

Well I guess he is chocolate tri then. I thought it was torte XP either way that's the daddy I am PRETTY sure cause my Chin I don't think has ever been around them <br /><br /> -- Tue May 12, 2015 12:47 pm -- <br /><br /> This is EXACTLY how my babies look!! One just has a black belly and the amount of pink on each varies chestnut_color_kit2.jpg

ButtonsPalace":119s9x7s said:
Well I guess he is chocolate tri then. I thought it was torte XP either way that's the daddy I am PRETTY sure cause my Chin I don't think has ever been around them

-- Tue May 12, 2015 12:47 pm --

This is EXACTLY how my babies look!! One just has a black belly and the amount of pink on each varies

He COULD be a broken chocolate tort... I just tend to think tri-color when I see, well.. three colors. I've had some confusion on that before though, for example a chestnut can have three colors. You're saying he's white with dark brown and orange spots? Is that correct? That's what it looked like from the picture I could see, but sometimes that's hard to tell.

I saw some pictures of broken tort rabbits and indeed, they do not have the regular tort markings, just on their nose and ears I guess? o.0

He looks orange, brown, and white he looks like someone just splattered big globs of paint of him he is SO cute!! I am pretty sure he is the daddy the most recent pic I posted is a GREAT example of all my babies but the one. The one looks like a cream color

agreed! broken black tort!

I bet your kit will turn chinchilla. but we will see what he gets older!

Celice":3or19jjg said:

I also with Dood and Celice about the kits, chestnut or chinchilla probably.
They do look a lot like otters as kits, but as soon as the brown or silver hairs start coming in you'll see the difference.

Celice":3moyai6s said:
agreed! broken black tort!

Interesting! He does look a lot like those pictures!
So, what is the defining characteristic of a broken tort?? Is it that large dark butterfly on the muzzle?
I wouldn't have thought that rabbit was black based :shock:

Susie570":2e74ayns said:
So, what is the defining characteristic of a broken tort?? Is it that large dark butterfly on the muzzle?
I wouldn't have thought that rabbit was black based :shock:

Here, have a look at these torts. they are lumped into the "shaded" group despite the color being created with non-extension...anyway. It's mini rex, but the genes are the same and the descriptions are great:
http://wildriverrabbitry.weebly.com/sha ... guide.html

The broken pattern has nothing to do with it. It just hangs out over top of any color, really.

Susie570":3qsfh6ja said:
So it's black (or other dark base color), particularly around the muzzle, with orange?

The ears are usually my first give away for a tort. Since an orange(agouti+non-extension) will have white inside the ears, and a tort(self+non-extension) will have a darker color.

Muzzle color can be very light, but the ears never lie ;)

As a side note... the eyes on this rabbit made me laugh so hard...

121426.jpg

Latest posts

Back