What color of eyes to Champagne D'Argents have?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy

Reaction score
I bought a NZ doe that was bred to a champagne. She had 7 babies. They are 3 weeks old. 2 were broken gray. 3 of them are light gray almost blue agouti. 1 looks like a gray self and 1 of them is black.

I really hope the black one has the champagne genes and silvers out. All of the babies have very blue eyes. Even the black one, I have never seen rabbits with such blue eyes.

Most of our rabbits have red, brown, or blue so dark that you have to get them in a good light to see they are blue. but these babies have eyes so light they look almost lavender in the light.

They sound beautiful! I know that you're hoping for Champagne silvering on the black one, but pretty blue eyes on coloured rabbits sounds like a super combination. BEW are nice, but I really prefer rabbits with colour.

Yes, they are super cute. We have decide we will be keeping all of the does and at least 1 buck from this litter so we can get more blue eyed babies and hopfully so resemblance of a champagne, maybe. I just love the blue eyes.

Yes, these babies are getting cuter and their coloring very strange. In the light it is hard to tell if they have a chocolate color or lilac color but they are not typical gray. I Don't really know what they are but they are stinking cute. I still haven't seen any silvering on the black one yet but they are 8 weeks now. Not sure how old the silvering starts. These pics were taken a week or two ago with flash so the coloring doesn't really show like it does in real life.

IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5183.jpg

Are you sure the doe wasn't bred to an American Sable? The one in the second picture seems to have the sable colour..(on the bottom right) Also perhaps the doe is Bevern?(blue eyes) They seem way too chunky.. lol very petty colours!! I also see no evidence of any silvering, you should start to see it by now even just a little just around the eyes and feet. The American Sable theory would also explain the chin and the black (seal) kits.

In my experience when you breed out the silver can become very random. Some of my MR x Creme d'argent rabbits got lots of silver, some got a little, some got none. Some silvered within weeks and some didn't show it at all until several months old. They also silvered different. The body gained speckles rather than certain areas like the feet or ears silvering completely and my pure champagnes have splotches and streaks of strong silvering while other areas are plain black. The crosses did not get those splotches and streaks but only random silver hairs evenly distributed across the body. Like these 3 month old blacks
DSCN0353.jpg

The one on the right is the same age but has no silver. Some of the ones I kept to 6 months old never did silver. I would guess silvering is a combination of genes and modifiers making the outcome of crosses unpredictable.

I don't know for sure just what the guy that sold her told me. He said she was bred to a champagne. It is possible he mis-spoke. I was really trying to figure out the coloring. Sable was one of my guesses.

Either way they are beautiful, big bunnies that will make great breeders for our own family meat. I was hoping for champagne but I am not disappointed in these babies at all.

Then, again, there is not telling what the momma is either. She looks like a nzw but she could be some sort of mix too. She is huge though.

Back