What color is this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avdpas77

Reaction score
OK,
This is a young buck that I raised. This is his natural color, he is not stained. He is the only buck I have bred that is a bit skittish.....didn't like getting his picture taken. So, what color is this.

Attachments

• Bopal (a).JPG
    Bopal (a).JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 731
  • Bopal (b).JPG
    Bopal (b).JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 731
His dam was a blue-eyed white (with a little brownish ticking when she got older)
His sire was a red buck with black "highlights"
These are meat rabbits, and I don't document kits I don't keep for breeding stock, so I don't really remember what his siblings looked like.

I mostly select for body type, fecundity, diverse genes,etc., but often will keep a couple just because they are "pretty"

This is a doe that I kept. She isn't wouldn't make it on body type, but I kept her for a season because of her color.

She doesn't have red eyes.

Attachments

• Opal Miss.JPG
    Opal Miss.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 697
ladysown":2f2ozhyh said:
sable point,

query....does he always have weepy eyes?

I never noticed until I took the picture. I re-checked him this morning thinking he may have a problem, but it appears that the fur in front of his eyes simply grows that way.. it looks wet in the picture, but it grows forward and is dark, making it look wet. I am going to keep an eye on him.

All my other bucks are gluttons for attention, but this one has always been skittish, and he was rather terrified of the flash, which may also have helped caused the effect.

The appearance is mostly the effect of the photograph. Still it looks more obvious on one side. So I am keeping an eye on him.

So anybody got any ideas on the does color?

She is a sable point as well but with different genes changing her colour.
If you research "shaded rabbit colors" you will get all kinds of examples from nearly black to almost white.

I am breeding the doe and buck together. I really like the bucks coloring and am hoping to duplicate it. In here first litter, I got 5 kits, 3 were (poor) Cal marked, the other two looked like the doe. The two came from different lines, so I am not sure how that will go.

I have never seen "lilac" I thought that maybe that was the does coloring.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Looks a lot like my "Siamese" (sallender) Satins. Here is a picture of one of them.
SmithsSB3posed.jpg

Back