What color is this little Mini Lop??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKRabbitry

Reaction score
OK, what about this little Mini Lop baby?
I am pretty sure he is a silver-tipped sable steel, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. First time I've had one of those in my litters.
Isn't he just the cutest thing ever? :D
Need a good name for him, too, if anyone has any ideas!

Attachments

• Sable Steel Mini lop rabbit.JPG
    Sable Steel Mini lop rabbit.JPG
    723 KB · Views: 782
  • Posed Sable Steel Mini lop buck.JPG
    Posed Sable Steel Mini lop buck.JPG
    717.4 KB · Views: 782
  • LH And ML 093.JPG
    LH And ML 093.JPG
    551.4 KB · Views: 782
I believe he is a blue seal or a very dark blue sable which is sometimes called smoke pearl

Silver tipped would indicate the chinchilla and steel gene working to modify an agouti but I am quite sure this is a self rabbit who does not have an agouti gene. He does not have any ring pattern except for the lighter tips of the hair.

very cute! Don't know the color, but I just wanted to say my new Zealand red buck looked frosted like that as a youngster but when he molted his fur returned to the nice rich red color it was supposed to be, so maybe your will molt out that frosty look too.

That is a sable mini lop. Looks like it's a sable steel to be persise. I have to many of these lol Humidity spoils the color but what can you do. Breeding to a rabbit that carries dilute, can get you on your way to smoke pearls which is something I'm aiming for.

Here is a normal sable

4147380.jpg

This is a homebred broken sable
9026638.jpg

correct colored steels are an agouti. Self steels are much lighter in ticking, sometimes having almost no ticking until they get older.

looks like a smoke pearl going through a colour change.

Wait a while, see what he's like when a bit older. They can do some funky colour shifts.

Thanks for the input everyone! Your guys are great :D

Peach, I was hoping you would comment....since I know you are familiar with Mini lop colors.
I think for now I am going to go with him being a Sable Steel.
I guess I didn't mention in my first post, but one of his siblings in that litter is a broken sable. So I think the chances of him being sable something are pretty good.

He probably will change coat a little bit as gets older, it will be interesting to see what happens. He is just a 4 weeks old.

For now I'm happy with him being just the cutest little snuggle-bear on the planet!

Thank you very much y'all!

Back