What color is this kit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyldrose

Reaction score
I put him as a blue tort when he was 5 days old. He's from a VM harlequin doe and a broken tort buck who carries dilute.

5 days old:

10 days old

3.5 weeks old

The other tort litter mates still look tort, I don't know why his sides are so light and he has the white eye liner. His belly is white too. I don't think either parent is an otter though.

I'd say fawn/orange, which is chestnut with two non extension.
A_ B_ C_ D_ ee

Your harlequin doe has the same genetics but has one harli gene and one non-extension on the E-locus
A_ B_ C_ D_ ej e

Yeah I was going to ask that if a harlie can also be agouti. He's cute and was going to go to a friend but she picked the double maned tort instead.

Thanks Dood ;) I'll get rabbit genetics down soon!

Aren't all harlequins agouti? I thought that the difference between a harlequin and tort is that hari's are agouti and have ej_ and torts are self and have ee...

Aren't all harlequins agouti?
No.
The harlequin gene will modify coat colours on steel, full extension, and non extension rabbits so you can have harlequinized torts, harlequinized sable points, harlequinized chestnuts, harlequinized chinchilla and so on.

But in the Harlequin breed, only agouti based colours are showable.

The gene similar to harlequin in mice is on the agouti loci it's called Agouti Visable Yellow it's written Avy and it's dominant over A and a. I learned mouse genetics when I started to breed them 7 years ago. I breed feeders but I like to know what I'm making and also some traits create lethal combos. You don't want to produce babies that are not viable.

It's neat how the genes work different in different types of animals. Brindle mice are dominant while harlie rabbits is recessive but dominant over the other traits in the non-extension loci.

It's nice to be able to predict what your getting. From the broken x VM I got 2 selfs, 2 brokens, 1 fake Charlie(vm+ broken I believe she is almost pure white) and 1 VM with a tiny head spot, the guy above.

Latest posts

Back