What color is this doe and what color can she be bred to?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Lover

Reaction score
Hi Rabbit friends,

I am thinking of purchasing this doe for my breeding stock. But her owner doesn't know what color she is, and neither do I... :oops: I am new to rabbits and i haven't started breeding yet, so any advice on colors is greatly appreciated. Also, what color buck could i breed her to? I read that there are only a few colors (ARBA mini lop standard of perfection :) ) that CAN'T be shown, and those are only produced if you breed two certain colors, but i can't remember which two they are :cry: ... :bunnyhop: I was thinking that she might be a frosted pearl, but her nose marking looks a bit dark for that... Thanks so much!! :) :D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-12-07 at 10.42.03 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-07 at 10.42.03 AM.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 603
From this photo I think I see ...
Self
Not chocolate
Dark shaded/ Chinchilla (possibly light shaded/sable)
Not dilute
Non-extension

So she is either a sallander (or sable point)

Any information on her parents or siblings colours?

You have several breeding options depending on what you want to produce :)

Thanks for your reply!

-- Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:54 am --

Dood":1ue2yu3z said:
From this photo I think I see ...
Self
Not chocolate
Dark shaded/ Chinchilla (possibly light shaded/sable)
Not dilute
Non-extension

So she is either a sallander (or sable point)

Any information on her parents or siblings colours?

You have several breeding options depending on what you want to produce :)

She doesn't have her pedigree, so we're not sure her what her history is :( Her owner says that her ears are too long, so she can't be shown. Is it possible for a non show quality rabbit to have show quality babies? Since i'm just starting off with my rabbitry, i'm thinking it would be better to pass on her since i really prefer to have the pedigrees of my breeder buns.

Some poor qualities can be fixed if bred to a complemtary mate but in my experience big ears are quite stubborn to breed out and if your goal is to show then I would pass

You will have a lot of money in feed, and time, spent getting show offspring out of her.
Buying the type you want now, is much more cost effective, and probably less disappointing in the long run.
If you like her, you can always keep her for a special pet.

Latest posts

Back