What color is this bun?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdBrook

Reaction score
I'll get better snapshots when it's not 11 PM and a nighttime run to check the kits because one climbed out of the nestbox and I couldn't sleep without a final check to be sure they were tucked in. I got them out to look them over. I thought they were all black but this one kit is ...I don't know, cinnamon? Clove? Looks black like the rest till you look again and it's agouti (I think you call it) but it's still really dark. Is there an official name for this color? These pictures are crummy, sorry about that.

The REW kit really stands out in this litter...must be the ears! :D

232323232%7Ffp543%3C5%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D36547%3A877334%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54366%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D36548252%3A534%3Anu0mrj

Chestnut agouti, I'm guessing. :) Mine start out black, and then quickly start showing the ticking of agoutis.

I've recently learned that some of the buns I thought were very dark chestnuts are actually gold-tipped steels. The fur is black all the way down to the skin, except the tips of some of the hairs. You'll probably have to wait until his fur is longer to see whether this is the case, but I think I read that the insides of steels' ears are black, and his don't look black. Not sure.

I think he's a chestnut, and he'll end up looking like a little wild cottontail when he's done. :D

If he had a light/pink belly as a kit then I would agree he is a Chestnut, but if he looked black as a newborn then I believe he is a gold tipped steel which is a fancy way of saying he's a chestnut with the dominant steel gene located on the E-locus.

Dood":1j2iftvg said:
If he had a light/pink belly as a kit then I would agree he is a Chestnut, but if he looked black as a newborn then I believe he is a gold tipped steel which is a fancy way of saying he's a chestnut with the dominant steel gene located on the E-locus.
Oh, I forgot about the belly color! :) I guess the solid black buns in Crystal's nest should be steels, then. :thinking:

Oh that Steel gene again.

I am really starting to like them, the more I see them (did I say that :) )

Latest posts

Back