What color is she? *pics inside*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohen Rabbitry

Reaction score
I had a litter of 5 born with 1 REW, 1 Black, and 3 Blues. 2 days later I had a litter of 1 born with 2 DOA with all of them being Blues. Both litters had the same Sire. That being said, The surviving kit in the second litter does not look to be blue or black. She seems too dark for blue, but too light for blue. Dam was a Broken black and Sire was a black. Sire has Blue, Black, and REW in his bloodline, Dam has Black, REW, Blue, and 1 Broken Chocolate in her bloodline.

Here is some pictures. Blue is on the Left, Black is on the right, and the one is question is in the middle.

SamaraBlackBlue1-10-11-1.jpg

SamaraBlueBlack1-10-11.jpg

SamaraBlackBlue1-10-11-2.jpg

Thanks
Rachel

That's a chocolate. What lovely kits and such a nice variety. Now you know that both parents carry the recessive to produce chocolate. You might even get some broken chocolates in the next litter -- how lovely!!!

moonkitten":3mpfq2n8 said:
That's a chocolate. What lovely kits and such a nice variety. Now you know that both parents carry the recessive to produce chocolate. You might even get some broken chocolates in the next litter -- how lovely!!!

Seems alot of people are saying Chocolate. Now I have to decide if I want to start that variety or sell her. :cry:

Rachel

Oh YEAH! Definitely a chocolate. They sell REALLY well in most breeds because of the unusual color. In my angoras, it's always the very first to be chosen. I tried to keep one from the last litter and was offered twice my normal price so...well....money is money :)

Anntann":27kuh4ek said:
Oh YEAH! Definitely a chocolate. They sell REALLY well in most breeds because of the unusual color. In my angoras, it's always the very first to be chosen. I tried to keep one from the last litter and was offered twice my normal price so...well....money is money :)

Oh Anntann, that didn't help my decision on whether to start the variety or sell her. That only made it worse. :( What am I going to do?? :shock:

Rachel

Why don't you see how she grows out and decide if the rest of her features/traits are going to be helpful to your goals? Chocolate is recessive, so you can breed her to black bucks and get both black and chocolate kits (assuming the buck carries the required recessive, otherwise they would all be black). So you don't need to keep a separate line of chocolates going. And if they sell well.... :D

moonkitten":3irhiilc said:
Why don't you see how she grows out and decide if the rest of her features/traits are going to be helpful to your goals? Chocolate is recessive, so you can breed her to black bucks and get both black and chocolate kits (assuming the buck carries the required recessive, otherwise they would all be black). So you don't need to keep a separate line of chocolates going. And if they sell well.... :D

Lol..I will keep that in mind. ;) A couple of people are saying maybe seal? Do you think she is chocolate for sure?

Rachel

First question...is this a color that's accepted in the breed? That would be a BIG determining factor, in my world.

Second question..as she grows, is she of a good TYPE for the breed?

If the answer to both questions is "yes" then, well...I'd be finding room for her. :) (or him, as the case may be)

You can always show her in the pictures of the "for sale" rabbits, and see if there's interest in her. I don't mean AS for sale, but like your picture of the three of them....include her in pictures of someone else :)

As with my chocolate girl...I just got an offer I couldn't refuse. (thinking I could always get more from that pairing...of course, CB hasn't delivered another chocolate :roll: ....but I'm still hopeful!! )

eta: seal? don't they have darker noses? hers seems to be the same lovely chocolate color.

Anntann":1mse7ao9 said:
First question...is this a color that's accepted in the breed? That would be a BIG determining factor, in my world.

Second question..as she grows, is she of a good TYPE for the breed?

If the answer to both questions is "yes" then, well...I'd be finding room for her. :) (or him, as the case may be)

You can always show her in the pictures of the "for sale" rabbits, and see if there's interest in her. I don't mean AS for sale, but like your picture of the three of them....include her in pictures of someone else :)

As with my chocolate girl...I just got an offer I couldn't refuse. (thinking I could always get more from that pairing...of course, CB hasn't delivered another chocolate :roll: ....but I'm still hopeful!! )

eta: seal? don't they have darker noses? hers seems to be the same lovely chocolate color.

The only answer I can give right now is to your first question, and yes, it is a recognized variety. I think that if in due time I am able to answer yes to the second question then I think will keep her. Good luck on your adventure to get another chocolate. I was only expect blacks and broken blacks in this litter...out of 8 babies 1 was a black. This whole genetic thing makes me want to pull my hair out. LOL

Rachel

Cohen Rabbitry":zd8e0o5m said:
A couple of people are saying maybe seal? Do you think she is chocolate for sure?

I'm assuming we are talking mini-rex? Both chocolate and seal are acceptable colours if so, and I guess the kit could be either. I would think that chocolate would be more common, especially if the dam has chocolate in her pedigree. The seal is a shaded rabbit, so as it grows up you should notice lighter coloured areas on the flanks. It's probably too soon to tell for sure.

moonkitten":3aciiumk said:
Cohen Rabbitry":3aciiumk said:
A couple of people are saying maybe seal? Do you think she is chocolate for sure?

I'm assuming we are talking mini-rex? Both chocolate and seal are acceptable colours if so, and I guess the kit could be either. I would think that chocolate would be more common, especially if the dam has chocolate in her pedigree. The seal is a shaded rabbit, so as it grows up you should notice lighter coloured areas on the flanks. It's probably too soon to tell for sure.

I am leaning towards chocolate because there is no seal in either of their bloodlines. Yes, they are Mini Rex, however I would prefer chocolate over seal.

Rachel

Cohen Rabbitry":2c9tgqf5 said:
however I would prefer chocolate over seal.

Rachel

And really... who wouldn't rather have chocolate than fishy meat... oops, not what you meant? :rotfl:

But seriously... in the first pic, it really looks like a chocolate to me. A seal is often very hard to tell from a black at that age. Usually they just look like poor blacks. That rabbit (and it could be the camera) definitely looks a distinct chocolate colour. YUM :)

Chocolate! Don't worry, if its nice and you like it keep it!! if not sell it. Blacks, blues, chocolates and lilacs are all self colours and don't need to be kept in separate lines. We have a whole barn of chocolate carriers and sometimes breeding a black to black will get us an entire rainbow litter of black, blue, chocolate and lilac, we don't really pay attention to the colour just the type. Unless of course all else was equal, then colour would be a consideration. Good luck and congrats on the new kits!

Devon's Mom Lauren":2sn08qzh said:
Chocolate! Don't worry, if its nice and you like it keep it!! if not sell it. Blacks, blues, chocolates and lilacs are all self colours and don't need to be kept in separate lines. We have a whole barn of chocolate carriers and sometimes breeding a black to black will get us an entire rainbow litter of black, blue, chocolate and lilac, we don't really pay attention to the colour just the type. Unless of course all else was equal, then colour would be a consideration. Good luck and congrats on the new kits!

I talked to the breeder of the Dam, she thinks that she is a seal. I am still unsure. She looks almost black and has white nails. I will be taking her with me to a show Feb. 20th, so hopefully I will know for sure by then. What color of nails do seals have? What color nails do chocolates have?

Thanks
Rachel

Here's a pic of a 1 week old Jersey Wooly litter. From left to right: Seal, REW, REW, Siamese Sable
100_2570.jpg

Same Seal kit at 3 weeks old
100_2697.jpg

Same Seal kit at 5 weeks old
100_2864.jpg

Seal Mini Rex at 8 weeks old
100_2776.jpg

No idea what color that kit is though...

Latest posts

Back