What color is rabbit sperm??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaYares

Reaction score
Every once in a while my white does have an orange spray of liquid across their sides or on their heads. At first I thought this was blood, but now I'm thinking it's spooge from the male misfiring. :mrgreen:

What do you all think?

It is likely urine- rabbits pee a rainbow of colors!

The ejaculate of animals (that I have seen anyway) is white or grey depending on how many dead cells are in the semen.

I don't think rabbits ejaculate that inaccurately. It always ends up on the doe's underside even if they miss. Urine though goes everywhere. I had a poor himi doe turn completely yellow and brown from being housed between 2 bucks who had a marking war. Rabbits can even pee red which occasionally freaks out their owners.

my rabbits pee varies from a yellow to an orange. thankfully i havent had any red pee yet that i have seen..... now watch one will start peein red just cause i said that... :l

ohiogoatgirl":2eecefns said:
my rabbits pee varies from a yellow to an orange. thankfully i havent had any red pee yet that i have seen..... now watch one will start peein red just cause i said that... :l

Darker pee (orange/red) is caused by plant pigment, which does not affect their health. The only time you should be worried would be when they're eliminating bright red, brown or black blood which could be the signs of various diseases/illnesses/injuries. Blood would be almost 'thicker' in appearance, compared to plant pigmentation which would be fairly transparent with a orange/red tint.

Sometimes they'll pee red just because the temp changes. I don't think anyone knows all the reasons rabbits pee the colors they do.

All of my rabbits get fed the same variety of foods, and they have various colored urine. Some is yellow, some is orange... I haven't conducted a scientific study to see if it varies at different times of day, etc., but I would think that if the color was related to feeds consumed they would be pretty consistent as a herd, and that doesn't seem to be the case. It would be interesting to test the ph and mineral content of the different colors to see what exactly is being excreted, but as long as they are all healthy and happy it isn't on the top of my to-do list!

My two males seem to have had their war and the one with the furthest spray won. Now one is outside and one is still in the lean to. He is the stud , so he thinks . We shall see.

All of my bucks are beside one another and I have never had issues with urine spraying.

Most of mine are horrible. I'm trying to figure out how to scrub a wall behind a cage I can't move in the house from a little netherland buck that's no more than fluff. He sure made a mess. Guinea pigs are getting his cage to stop the problem and he's getting a cage with walls on 3 sides. My mini rex have made 5' up. I've had himi does turn yellow when housed between bucks. My himi buck always has a yellow head cause he's one of those few that pee on themselves and he can't groom his head if he wanted to. Luckily the doe next to him now is black and the other side has a varnish sealed plywood wall a couple feet away that can be wiped down.

My meat bucks are actually the best. I don't think my rex coated mutt sprays and Arinsu is usually in colony. When not he is busy figuring out if there's an escape route from his cage rather than marking it. He seems to have more manners around does as well since living with them where they can kick his butt should he misbehave. I've had a few mini rex put in their place by meat bucks and they stop all this silly marking behavior and bothering the does excessively. I actually quite like my bucks raised in colony to maturity where they get beat up but not injured to the point of needing treatment by the adults who won't tolerate lack of manners and things like urine wars.

LOL... poor does! I have been feeding beet greens to my buns.... and some very red urine is showing up. I am very lucky in that i have a nice buck who does not feel the urge to spray like some do.

Latest posts

Back