What color are these kits please?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buknee

Bella Rose Rabbitry
Reaction score
Dam is chocolate otter. Pedigree includes: REW, black otter, blue otter, black and blue.
Sire is broken amber. Pedigree includes: lilac, castor, opal, lilac otter, amber x3, REW x2 , chocolate x2, red, black otter and lynx.

What color are the kits? I see a definite chocolate otter and I believe a lilac otter. Are the others broken amber and amber? Too red for chocolate, right?
This is my first litter with chocolate/amber. I appreciate your insight. Thank you!

PS: The REWs in the family photo are foster cousins.

Attachments

• 20230911_093142.jpg
    20230911_093142.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230914_091651.jpg
    20230914_091651.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • T1...jpg
    T1...jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • T1..jpg
    T1..jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
  • T2..jpg
    T2..jpg
    930.9 KB · Views: 1
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
  • 20230302_152150.jpg
    20230302_152150.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • T3..jpg
    T3..jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 1
Dam is chocolate otter. Pedigree includes: REW, black otter, blue otter, black and blue.
Sire is broken amber. Pedigree includes: lilac, castor, opal, lilac otter, amber x3, REW x2 , chocolate x2, red, black otter and lynx.

What color are the kits? I see a definite chocolate otter and I believe a lilac otter. Are the others broken amber and amber? Too red for chocolate, right?
This is my first litter with chocolate/amber. I appreciate your insight. Thank you!

PS: The REWs in the family photo are foster cousins.
It can be pretty hard to tell amber from smutty red, especially at this age when ring color has not developed; even in adult rex those colors can be tricky given the shortness of the coat and the subtlety of the ring colors in amber. But going by what I can see of their ear lacing and the sprinkling of ticking, or lack thereof, on the shorter fur of their faces, I'm guessing that T2 and T3 are ambers and T4 may be a red. (I could go either way on that one; would love to see all three kits together in the same lighting.)
I agree with your calls of chocolate otter and lilac otter. :)

It can be pretty hard to tell amber from smutty red, especially at this age when ring color has not developed; even in adult rex those colors can be tricky given the shortness of the coat and the subtlety of the ring colors in amber. But going by what I can see of their ear lacing and the sprinkling of ticking, or lack thereof, on the shorter fur of their faces, I'm guessing that T2 and T3 are ambers and T4 may be a red. (I could go either way on that one; would love to see all three kits together in the same lighting.)
Thank you for your insight. Lighting wasn't too good for these pictures tonight, but I think you can see the color comparison a bit better.

Attachments

• 20230915_201420.jpg
    20230915_201420.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230915_201616.jpg
    20230915_201616.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
@Alaska Satin Better photos:

Attachments

• 9.18.23...jpg
    9.18.23...jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.18.23.jpg
    9.18.23.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.18.2023.jpg
    9.18.2023.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
Ah, still can't really give you a confident answer; although one kit still looks slightly lighter than the other two, they're an awfully close match in these photos. Since your chocolate otter doe doesn't have any non-extension varieties in her pedigree, it seems most likely that the kits in question are all ambers; however, like many recessive alleles, non-extension can hide for a long time. As @ladysown said, give them time and you should start to see rings appear in their coat. I have found that the ring color becomes apparent first on their lower hips/flanks, so that's where I like to check.

Another clue is their undercolor, which may be discernible at this age. Ambers will have a dove-gray undercolor, including on their bellies, which can be either white or tan on the surface. Reds should have a cream-to-red belly (reds are faulted for a white belly) and a cream undercolor (DQ for gray undercolor). That these faults and DQs are noted in the standard suggests that you may find them in reds (also, some lightly ticked or wide-band ambers could be mistaken for/shown as smutty reds). So, it's not 100% diagnostic, but if some of your kits have one undercolor and others have the opposite, that could be a hint at what their varieties are.

Would love to see more photos as they mature!

Back