What chickens do you have?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Salmon Faverolles primarily, several easter eggers (all 3 are different colors), and a trio of Mille Fleur D'Uccles

No pictures presently, but I have video just can't attach that here alas and don't use a personal host.

Here's my pretty boy... sweetheart of a roo, too. I think he's gone after one of my kids once, and after a bit of prodding (since it was so unlike him) I found that he was chasing the hens and throwing stuff at them :evil: (mean mommy didn't have a huge amount of sympathy at that point since I had told him repeatedly not to do it).

He's a BLRW, but more of a splash I guess. His son/grandson looks just like him but everything that's white/light grey on him is very dark. Hoping his demeanor stays calm and they can get along well enough that I can keep both. If I am going to have a rooster, I want him to be a bit of eye candy :lol:

Found one of the other guy... he's still in that awkward teenager phase here, so he's feathers are a bit wonky still, but you can see the coloring difference:

Small sampler of my colorful flock (forgot about my lone bantam in my list above)... I let them freerange periodically, but the poop was getting out of control (because, of course, they liked hanging out under the kids playset and around the house) so we set up a run for them. I put wire covered pallets in so now they at least have some green stuff if/when they want it.

The one at the far right is my houdini chicken... always finding a way out of the run. You can see her planning her next route in the pic - she was squeezing between the wire and the coop and crawling/climbing for a good 3 ft squashed flat between it :roll:

We have:

Black Australorps
An Easter Egger
Orphington Buffs
Rhode Island Reds
New Hampshire Reds
Silver Laced
Light brahmas
Barred rocks

The first time they went outside over a year ago.

10177950_560588437391081_3553855026985622616_n.jpg

10277813_560588390724419_2153070110065531633_n.jpg

My light Brahmas about a month ago. They're so big, and playful now!

11009386_798167846966471_3082998419300498437_n.jpg

First time free ranging the girls about 2 weeks ago!

11403162_798167843633138_1149550869364878241_n.jpg

Buff Orpingons - it's what I started with and chose for eggs/meat and temperament - I like them still :)

Bovans Browns - last years 4-H poultry chain birds my girls raised. These are some serious egg layers and super nice personality wise. I like them a lot. Not very broody but two out of the three that did raised 5 chicks this year.

Leghorn- white - this years poultry chain birds and I really don't care for them - not evil or anything just not as mellow as the above birds and are prone to escaping the yard when given the chance. Not quite old enough to start laying so can't say anything about that.

And 10 red freedom rangers- my youngest wanted chickens but broilers instead of eff layers. They are alright I suppose- not much personality but they do forage well and are pretty 'beefy' won't compete with the white broilers but I do appreciate that these still look like chickens not a alien life forms ;) 3 more weeks and I'll know what thy taste like. And 6 turkey poults that I find too amusing

Right now I have 7 Barred rocks, 2 Easter egger hens and a rooster, 1 leghorn, 2 bantam buff brahmas, and a couple more random roosters. I have over 300 eggs due to hatch in a little over a week. They will be mixed breed, Dominiques, Easter Eggers, Rhode Island red, Cuckoo Marans, and Crème Legbars. I plan on selling the mixed breeds and keeping the rest. I also just got in 34 buff Orphintons (I couldn't find any eggs locally for them) and 105 black sexlinks. I wanted the sexlinks so I could try and see if I can learn how to vent sex chicks and I would be able to tell easily if I got it right or not. I need a lot more practice, I only got 60% right.

Celice":30wbsexc said:
Ugh!!! If only I was closer!!! I'd love some of those birds! Lavender is a really pretty color! and YES please do take pictures!! I'd love to see what a cross looks like between the lavender and buff!

Here's a pic of some of our younger Lavenders:

image.php

And here's a pic of the Lavender/Buff cross hens:

image.php

We have 17 hyline egg making machines they all free ranging and they all come back to hutch at night to roost so they are easy as to have around plus we live on the eggs as my 4 kids are gluten free and lactose intolerant :)

Jubilee orpingtons. I have a pair of hens and am getting a cockerel soon. I also have some Cochins coming soon.. If ever lol. It's been delayed due to the heat

Let's see...

1 French Black Copper Marans rooster

Girls:

6 Buff Orpingtons
1 Rhode Island Red
1 Jersey Black Giant
1 Ameraucana
1 Easter Egger (white with blue legs, lays green eggs)
3 French Black Copper Marans
5 Barred Rocks
3 Golden Comets
2 Golden Sexlinks
1 Brown Leghorn

cool!! I'm thinking about getting some marans I'm loving those really dark eggs <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:38 pm __________ <br /><br /> beautiful birds everyone!!! I'm investing in a Incubator and getting some hatching eggs. that maybe a nice little business too!!

my rooster. he's such a neat guy...

show_off_by_tricksters_taxidermy-d91b975.jpg

Whoa! I had no idea even roosters could get THAT fancy! :shock:

Oh, yeah!! Type in google "Phoenix Rooster" and see what you get. Now THAT is a beautiful rooster, I used to have some a long time ago I'd like to get them again :)

Just posting that my flock has grown!! I ordered Blue Sumatras, Red Shouldered Yokohamas, and Gold Duckwing Phoenix from cacklehatchery! I plan on getting some red jungle fowl too next year for pure free range chickens and since these guy fly like pheasants they should be able to get away from predators better...

nuggets__by_tricksters_taxidermy-d94vcxq.jpg

Also, is anyone interested in hatching eggs? or are willing to sell some? (looking at you guys with the lavender orpingtons)

No chickens anymore :( But I used to have Speckled sussex and OEGB. The OEGB were just for fun (because the hens were broody *constantly* one of my hens never got the memo that she actually had to RAISE her chicks, as soon as they left the nest, she'd abandon them and start sitting on more eggs that weren't even her own :? )

The Speckled Sussex, I really liked, I found them to be all around good birds, good free-rangers, decent layers, good broodies and excellent mothers. If I didn't live smack dab in the middle of the city, I'd get some more chickens.

Now I'm sad =( lol.

Celice":7usbw36t said:
cool!! I'm thinking about getting some marans I'm loving those really dark eggs
They really are pretty, and a nice contrast to the other eggs. :)

They are that dark only for a year or so, and then they start getting lighter. Ours are... wow... 2 1/2 years old now. The marans eggs we get now are still large, but they're not dark. They're varying amounts of speckled, on a regular brown egg surface. Sometimes they'll have dark bumps on them, other times they look like they have spray paint overspray on them -- sometimes in bands, so they look like sand sculptures. So they're still different and pretty. :) <br /><br /> __________ Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:46 pm __________ <br /><br /> We are still getting frequent blue eggs and green eggs from 2 1/2 and 3 year old chickens. We know that some of our hens are no longer laying, though, so we're putting them in the tractor two at a time for a couple of weeks, so see if we can identify who is no longer producing.

Problem is, it's gotten so hot, our general egg production has been cut by more than 50% just in the last week. So the girls that are in there now may be in there for some extra time, just to be fair.

Latest posts

Back