What are the differences between NZW and Californians?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfarm

Reaction score
I know they are colored differently (NZW is all white, Calis have black points) and they NZW are a little bigger, but visually are there any other differences?

I've found the temperment for the NZW to be far more pleasant than the Cali's. Also found that the NZW's are easier to breed. To me the biggest different is in the size. Like you say, the NZW are bigger which to me means more meat. I haven't noticed any different in the grow out rate.

What I mean is, if someone took a Californian and colored the black in white, or took a NZW and gave it dark points, what would someone look for to say that are not shaped right, look right, or something like that? (I hope that makes sense).

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. Other than size I'm not sure but I know there are some on here who are very keen on telling rabbits apart and can definitely help out.

I can't really answer your question, but I will add that the go to meat cross around here raised by the professional meat operations are Cali bucks over NZW does. Man, they make huge and fast growing babies.

Yes.

My AmChins are finer boned and just feel more deicate or breakable than my NZ x Flemish giant or some of his daughters that picked up this trait. While my new Cali buck is even more lighter framed than my AmChin does :lol:

I have one NZ doe with a smutty nose and ears - think there was a cali in the woodpile - and she has a face like a camel, long and ugly.

Every one else has nice fat faces.

Don't know if that is typical as I just have NZs so cant compare against a true cali.

Well one main difference is that NZ come in a few accepted colors (black, broken, red and white) and Californians only come with the black points...

After looking in my standard of perfection, they sound quite similar. The standards sound pretty much the same, but perhaps worded a little different. lol Nothing stuck out to me as being very different there. Perhaps when talking about bone though as somebody mentioned... here is what it says:

New Zealand: Bone to be straight, medium heavy, and medium length. Hind legs and feet are to be full, firm, and stout.

Californian: Bone is to be medium in size with rather short legs preferred.

So... perhaps the NZ is a little heavier in bone. lol When it comes to face shape, any breed can have an "ugly" face. Depends on the breeding just like with other things. :) I have seen some Californians with ugly faces and some NZ with them too. lol

Even in these pictures, you can see that they are very similar... perhaps that is why they are the two top meat breeds? lol I know the breeds are very often bred together for meat pens and stuff.

new-zealand-white.jpg
Californian_Rabbit.jpg

They are so similar that it's probably area specific or even bloodline specific. Kind of like I've had mini rex with every head type imaginable (except of course the squished face of a ND). The champagne d'argent I got from multiple breeders in Wisconsin were not the same size and head shape as the ones I got from southern Illinois. The NZ I saw at one breeder who I got Checkered giant x NZ does had a shorter shoulder than the ones at the breeder I got the creme d'argent with a NZ grandparent for genetic diversity in that uncommon breed.

I'm not involved with showing, but without question
a NZW doe covered by a Californian buck creates one of
the best fryers around.

Very quick weight gain and solid as a rock.

grumpy.

NZW are commercial type, cals are cylindrical.

Basically it means they are shaped differently.

Watch your calis when they lay resting, they should look like a sausage with ears.

Commercial type:
One of most common rabbit body types include the Commercial Rabbit Breeds. Like indicated by the name, the rabbits that make up this category tend to be used as production animals and meat rabbits. The rabbits that make up this “Commercial” category tend to grow fast and have large meaty loins. Many rabbit breeders have pointed out that these bunny rabbits look very similar to the “Compact Rabbit Breeds” except they are a lot bigger.

Cylindrical type
The Cylindrical Rabbit Breed category currently consists of only one representative. The sole representative from this “Cylindrical” category is the Himalayan Rabbit. Many breeders have noted that the Himalayan Rabbits looks a lot like a smaller version of the Californian Rabbit however their shape is cylindrical in nature. When these rabbits are posed properly on the judging table they should be laid out in a “cylindrical” like fashion.

Source of images and text in italics:
http://rabbitbreeders.us/types-of-rabbits
http://www.justrabbits.com/types-of-rabbits.html

Hi Ivory,

Californians are commercial body type, same as NZs. You are confusing Himi with Cali..

Frabo":2j56s7va said:
Hi Ivory,

Californians are commercial body type, same as NZs. You are confusing Himi with Cali..

Thanks for telling me that, because I now know that the trio of Californians I bought from a Cali breeder a few years ago were not Californians at all, but Himalayans, not that it matters.

Yea himalayans are the only cylindrical body type. I believe I read somewhere they come from china and asian countries. A very old breed. They are also only 2-5lbs where a cali is 7-12lbs. The cali was developed fairly recently in california hence the name.

Thanks everyone for the input. I didn't see all the new replies until just now. Everyone was sick this weekend so we have been busy getting everyone better. Wooly_queen, your info was very helpful. I don't have a standard of perfection so I wasn't really able to compare the breeds.

cmfarm":23q7w7y5 said:
Thanks everyone for the input. I didn't see all the new replies until just now. Everyone was sick this weekend so we have been busy getting everyone better. Wooly_queen, your info was very helpful. I don't have a standard of perfection so I wasn't really able to compare the breeds.

Yeah, no problem. :) Glad to be of some help to you.

Latest posts

Back