What Are The Chances?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
So we've know for a month or two that one of my Bucks is unable to have Kits
We thought it was because of a split penis
But it turns out, pointed out by a Judge for the first time at a rabbit show today, that he only has one testicle! I even checked after taking him back and the judge is right!

They can sometimes still be fertile with only one - a buck I sold (proven) was found to have only one by his new owner. I genuinely hadn't noticed. But in general, monorchidism can be an inherited trait, which you don't really want to introduce into your breeding stock.

They can sometimes still be fertile with only one - a buck I sold (proven) was found to have only one by his new owner. I genuinely hadn't noticed. But in general, monorchidism can be an inherited trait, which you don't really want to introduce into your breeding stock.
He's been bred 4-6 times with no Kits

We had a monorchid who had his second one show up when he was about a year old. Not sure why it took so long.

If it's been warm in your area, your buck could be temporarily heat sterile. I think it's temperatures above 83°F (28.3°C) which can cause this condition.

Another problem could be Vent Disease. That's rabbit syphilis and fortunately does not cross over to humans. Look for tiny white lesions or sores around their eyes, nose/mouth and genital areas. Penicillin shots will fix that, but it's multiple shots over a period of time. Fortunately, one cow sized bottle of penicillin from the feed store will treat a lot of rabbits.

We had a monorchid who had his second one show up when he was about a year old. Not sure why it took so long.

If it's been warm in your area, your buck could be temporarily heat sterile. I think it's temperatures above 83°F (28.3°C) which can cause this condition.

Another problem could be Vent Disease. That's rabbit syphilis and fortunately does not cross over to humans. Look for tiny white lesions or sores around their eyes, nose/mouth and genital areas. Penicillin shots will fix that, but it's multiple shots over a period of time. Fortunately, one cow sized bottle of penicillin from the feed store will treat a lot of rabbits.
He's three and had been bred for a lot of it

Back