What are the chances of accidental breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to process some fryers this weekend, but hurt my back working on a car Saturday. I couldn't walk unassisted this weekend and can't even pick a rabbit up at this point.

The growouts are 11 weeks old and are still with their mom. Will this be a problem? I'd prefer to control breeding, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if an extra litter popped up. The unknown as far as the nesting box and such would be bothersome, though.

So, what are the chances of one of the bucks breeding with his mom? (Breeding to each other wouldn't be a concern since these are destined for the dinner table anyway).

Thanks in advance.

I'll be interested in finding out, lol.
I've kept buns together until they were 6 mos old, and have not had an accidental breeding. My lines don't mature that fast. Until recently, my bucks didn't have all their parts until at least 6 mos old, and I've never had a doe lift willingly before 5 mos old.

OneAcreFarm":6xm0zh3t said:
I have had a youngster breed his mom around that age....:)

That would be funny.

I kept my grow outs in a cage together for the express purpose of getting each other pregnant and it took til about week 20 or so for them to get pregnant. These were californians. I'm not sure what type yours are but from the current responses I'd say its up in the air.

I've had rabbits breed at 8weeks but usually it takes until at least 4 months especially with larger breeds. I often kept 12-16 week olds together until I could butcher all of them without accidents. I usually did the bucks first to lessen the chance of breeding and then got to the does around 16-20weeks.

The mom is an NZW and the dad is a Californian, so I would call them a medium breed.

The chances of an accidental breeding with the mom sound pretty low, so that's a relief. I'll do the processing as soon as I'm able, starting with the bucks.

Thanks all! :)

Latest posts

Back