What are the chances of a Harlequin?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmybunnys

Reaction score
I have a NZ Red buck and a nz red doe. My bucks parents were both reds. The does mom was a Harlequin and its dad was a red. I also know her grandma was a NZ White. So whats the chances of my doe throwing a Harlequin?

Check her chin and belly - a lot of reds can hide harlequin if they are super faintly marked. Also look on the ears for traces of brindling. Agree with Dood though if she's not harlequin chances are extremely slim she'd throw harlequin (not impossible though - as she could be so extremely light marked that she does not indeed have any black on her, but she is still carrying the gene, if that makes sense)

I have a harlie male. His mother is a black and white, with half blue eyes. His father is a chocolate brown...

How did I get a harlie?

Harli can hide in your self black or your self chocolate. It only shows the markings in the coat of agouti and non-extensions like fawn, sable point, tortoiseshell, etc..

I looked over every single inch of the mom. She is black and white with blue eyes. She has no brown on her at all. So I'm guessing it must be the dad.

I can do a couple test breeds with her to another male and I guess it would be her if the harlie shows up again.

I have had harlie carrying selfs and have harlie marked agoutis. But without the ee gene, or some serious inbreeding (which I am doing) for an ej ej match up, I will probably never see it.

AA eje = harlequin
Aa eje = harlequin
aa eje = torted harlequin

__ ejej = much better harlequins :D However there are lots of A_eje ones out there you'd never know they weren't A_ejej. That's how we end up with torted harlequins out of great marked harlequins, these are the aaeje ones - one of the parents was Aaeje (the Agouti will hide the torting effect). They had to get that e gene from somewhere.

Skysthelimit you may end up with great harles anyway even without double ej genes, we have had lots of A_eje's take BOB and BOppB on the table against ejej... there are lots of modifiers in there. I think it's best to breed only ejej if you're wanting Harlequins though otherwise you end up with torted harlequins down the line if you get an aa in there.

Latest posts

Back