What ARBA offers to the world of animal breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so glad that you were so impressed!
I was a very long standing member of A.R.B.A.
but due to their lack of participation and action, [Which they lacked to take]
on any of the things which are SO detrimental to the constituents,
I lost faith quite awhile ago in the A.R.B.A.
Oh yeah, you can pay your money and have your winning rabbit registered
if you win at least three legs under at least two different judges.
The shame of it is after all the years and monies you will be sinking into
your Membership, A.R.B.A all too often seems to fall short of the amount of support
they should be giving to their membership.
I know that I am NOT the only person that feels this way!
Sorry if I rained on anyone's parade, I just had to post my opinion.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Oh, I probably should not type this...but I am going to any way. I wrote this to ARBA on June 2 of this year:
"Hi there. I'm not sure who to contact to make aware of this event in Arkansas on June 7. I would have attended this but will be going to the Canton, TX show this weekend. Is there something we can do to represent rabbit breeders at this event? https://www.facebook.com/animalownersunderfire1?fref=nf

I have posted this information on some facebook pages to see if any rabbit breeders are attending, but no one has responded.

Personally, I think it is important to let our rescue organizations know that rabbits do not need to be turned over to HRS (unless they are really house rabbits) and spayed/neutered when there are problems. Since I have only been in rabbits for four years, I am not sure how to help at this point.

Please let me know if you are already aware of this, or if not, if you can support this event in any way. If this is not an appropriate venue for information from ARBA to be shared, please explain."

After three weeks with no response except Mr. Avesing say her would forward to the PAC person, I wrote this: "Well, I am sitting here reading the "What Can We Learn from ARBA?" article again, and noticed this: "...ARBA is a powerful voice for those who wish to protect their hobbies and businesses from indiscriminate anti-breeder legislation." Really? I can't even get and answer to my e-mails, so where is this "powerful voice"?

And the Political ACTION Committee? I would love it if someone from the committee took enough ACTION to respond to me and explain as I asked above.

A disappointed current ARBA member,"

So, you didn't rain on my parade at all. To their credit, I did get a response shorty after writing this. Not a completely satisfactory one, but a response none the less. I have not given up on them yet.

Benefit pah. Horn, who is supposed to be keeping an active ear and helping alert ARBA to potential issues with legislation is well, less than active. I keep getting told they are watching but nothing is being passed to affect breeders when in fact there has been and will be. Breeders may squeak by in NY about the tattoo ban, supposedly it is still OK to do for show but then again there are some conflicting statements. Now where is the ARBA in all this, their head stuck in the sand, no call or mention to members no nothing that I have seen or heard of from members in that area unless it was taken upon themselves to tell others. I didn't get even a we appreciate your concern from the main email for the ARBA when I questioned their knowledge about the WV ban and the attitude I got from Horn was rancid while not rude per say, although I thought it was pretty darn rude; in Horn's opinion I should be open to discussion on the ban and banning animals plus not have the attitude I do about the whole thing. Really? That's good? What's the point of being a member if they don't even let membership know they are about to be cut and hung out to dry? Even if it is not directly involved with rabbits by some lucky strike in the end, a blanket ban should be enough of a concern to make at least a release on their site so that members know legislation is going on like this...nop, not a thing and they do not intend to bother doing any thing about it either. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:45 pm __________ <br /><br /> Or I should say at this point and time....they've not told me any thing. Any email I send or call I make, I'm pretty sure gets deleted since I am not going to take the attitude of banning isn't such a bad thing as long as it doesn't take in x animal either. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms...

I believe ARBA re-printed that article in a recent issue of Domestic Rabbits. It's a nice article and has a lot of positive things to say.

I don't show rabbits. None of my customers show rabbits. While I've been an ARBA member for years and our rabbitry is even registered with ARBA, I've found that they don't have much to offer meat producers or commercial operations.

On the other hand, I have had more than one customer that seemed to be impressed that I was a member of a national organization. So, I chalk up the dues as just one more cost of doing business and putting on a "professional" face.

My experience with the ARBA is limited. I am sure it serves some of it's members in some ways. When I first got into rabbits a few years ago they provided a lot of info between the website and the guidebook that came with the membership. With that said, however, as a member of ARBA I contacted them a few times trying to get information and guidance on building commercial facilities. I got nowhere fast. As someone who is a commercial producer and is not likely to attend a show but once or twice a year I don't feel that continuing to be a member is of much benefit to me. If the time comes when some of the kids in my circle of family and friends become interested in rabbits and showing it would be worth it again.

I guess for me it seems like they are geared more toward the fancier than the meat producer, and that is fine, just not for me at this time.

I

Back