What age do you turn the nest box on its side?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carebear

Reaction score
Went out this am to find a 2 week old kit sitting outside the nest box. His fur was cold but he was warm, whew, so I warmed him up some and put him on the bottom of the pig pile. I'm not sure if he was drug out with mama or if he went exploring, everyone's eyes are open now. At any rate, I turned the nest box on it's side, but now I'm second guessing myself. We are currently having highs in the mid 40's and lows in the mid 30's. What do you all think? Should I flip the box back up?

A lot of people turn the box on its side, as you have done, but it is messy and not so cozy. I found that placing a brick against the low end of the nest box was an effective way of giving the youngsters a step up so that they could get back in the box.

once I see them coming out around 2 weeks I will put a small chunk of 2X4 at the end of the nest box on the outside to give the little guys a step to get back into the box. after another week they don't need any help getting in and out.

Ok, thanks guys! I will turn it back, and I just happen to have a brick (from when I got locked out of the house :roll: ) that will work much better as a step!

Back