What age do bucks need to be separated from does?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormy

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere on this forum. I have my rabbits colony style, everyone's having a great time... but I am not sure at what point I need to kick all the boys out. Thanks!

:bunnyhop: :pancake:

It's going to be different with every rabbit. Some become rather agressive and territorial at some point early on, while it happens later with others. There's no rhyme or reason to trying to separate them in such a way. Most breeders I know will start separating bucks from does when they're weaning them from their mom, then put the keepers into cages by themselves after a couple of weeks away from their mom while putting the rest into cull cages or meat pens when they're old enough to begin displaying the traits relating to type or color. I started doing so when I raised my first litter, and so far it has worked rather well.

I recently took my bucks out with 10 weeks, they started growing their testicles, but not expressing any male-behavior yet.

Mine are 12 weeks old and are still in the pen with the girls, I need to separate them this week as they have started to grow testicles. So far everyone is still getting along great :)

I seperate out when 6 weeks as I wean them. I have had however some bucks starting to "Practice" bucky behaviour before that time. So I watch behaviours now and the lil monkeys come out away from Mom

Mines start humping fairly early, but no one has grown any testicles until at least 5 months old. I've left them together as far as 12 weeks. Most go to the freezer after that anyway.

On a majority of rabbits 10-12 weeks is the point where you'll need to definitely separate, otherwise you'll have a couple of unintended litters. If space is not a concern or deciding factor then separate at 6-8 weeks when they are weaned.

tnelsonfla":d2lzn6hb said:
On a majority of rabbits 10-12 weeks is the point where you'll need to definitely separate, otherwise you'll have a couple of unintended litters. If space is not a concern or deciding factor then separate at 6-8 weeks when they are weaned.

I know people say that, but has anyone had a litter out of a 12 week old kit? Any time I've tried breeding anything before six months, it hasn't worked. I just recently had a doe get pregnant at 5 months.

I've never had a purposeful litter out of anything under 5months but I had an accidental litter out of a 12 week old that got pregnant by her siblings at 8weeks. For most 12 weeks should be fine. I've left a few hundred to 12-16 weeks without litters before butchering so far. It was just that one odd time.

I had the SCF visit my 17 week old pen of does- found a buck in there.:x Fully descended testicles on the little man.

I haven't sorted them as to keepers yet... I guess I'll find out how fertile my youngsters are soon. :popcorn:

I know people say that, but has anyone had a litter out of a 12 week old kit?
No I have not , But I always error on the side of cautiousness. I have had a 16 week buck who had the size,fortitude & he was senior weight. The judge never questioned his age and he won BOV & BOB.

I routinely begin breeding my does at 16wks. I separate bucks and does around 10-12wks at the latest. 8wks is better for me, but I don't always have the space at that time.

MamaSheepdog":12xct99m said:
I had the SCF visit my 17 week old pen of does- found a buck in there.:x Fully descended testicles on the little man.

Whoa...now I wanted a faster growing Rex, but that's fast! At 17 weeks these guys don't have little pop out penises yet.

skysthelimit":37pomuzp said:
MamaSheepdog":37pomuzp said:

Whoa...now I wanted a faster growing Rex, but that's fast! At 17 weeks these guys don't have little pop out penises yet.

Why is that considered "fast"? 17 weeks is basically 4 months old. The males should be showing their "junk" by then.

SatinsRule":fqso6f4q said:
skysthelimit":fqso6f4q said:
MamaSheepdog":fqso6f4q said:

Why is that considered "fast"? 17 weeks is basically 4 months old. The males should be showing their "junk" by then.

Not for Rexes, they are the slower of the meat breeds. They don't usually reach 5lbs till 14-16 weeks. Mine's average 4lbs at 16 weeks, just enough to make junior weight. For the first time this year, I have a buck who has testicles at 4 1/2 weeks. Before that, none of mine had testicles until 6 mos. I bred a buck and I was confused about his age and just assumed his pieces had decended. Turns out he was only 5 mos, not six, and he had no visible testicles. The doe missed, so I had to give that another try. Lesson-keep the calendar in the barn and always check, despite what you think their age is.

Now some have faster growing Rexes, mostly the west coast folks, and theirs reach senior weight at the time mine reach junior weight. A couple of months back I bought a 6 week old that was as big as my 10 week olds.
Slow growth is one of the reasons Rex fell out of favor with the meat breeders, and in some lists it's considered a hobby breed, not even recognized as a meat breed. I'm still waiting for OAF to put a Rex on a plane for me, so I can breed at 16 weeks, versus the 6-8 months I usually breed at.

I have four rabbits. Two Netherland Dwarfs, and Two Californians. They are all about 11-12 weeks old. I tried putting the does in together, because I just got a suprise bunny today and was in no way prepared. However the Does were shoving eachother with thei noses and running around after eachother. Is this okay? I currently have them separated, but what should I do? My Californian buck, Hewitt, doesn't like to share his cage with anyone but his sister. Is teratorial-ness normal in rabbits? I'm 13 and need alot of advice!!! :bunnyhop: :pancake: :x I need all the help possible!!

Rabbits are very territorial and should each have their own cage unless you do a lot of research and have a lot of space for them or have them neutered.

Do you think the Does will settle down if I leave them together for a while? Or is it just a bad idea altogether? I have a friend who is going to turn our shed into a place for all the buns to romp around, but I dont want any of them getting hurt!

LaneyMaee":ei73x7rp said:
Do you think the Does will settle down if I leave them together for a while? Or is it just a bad idea altogether? I have a friend who is going to turn our shed into a place for all the buns to romp around, but I dont want any of them getting hurt!

Does can and do get as nasty and territorial as bucks do sometimes.

The fact is that Does are more territorial.
so territorial that they will castrate Bucks
the uninvited venture into into their territory.
This can be especially true if they have a litter.
You can only house two or more Does together for a
limited time. Once they go through puberty/reach maturity
it is in their and your best interest to give each Doe
[and Buck] their own cage/territory.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Back