What a variety. Litter pic.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy

Reaction score
Can't get over the variety in this litter. The The dad is a chestnut agouti flemish mix, the mom is flea market mutt. She looks like a steel agouti (at least that is what I was told when I posted her pic her).

One of these babies is distinctly and beautifully a black otter. One is a rew. Actually one of these snuck in from another litter and I didn't realize till after the pic so there is really only one black in litter not two like the pic. There are 2 chestnut agouti, one of which is a runt and there are 2 steel (or at least much darker) agouti, one of which is also a runt. There are two runts in the is litter. It's just a big change from the momma in the cage next to her that has 5 black babies or the other momma that has had 7 babies every time 5 of which are always chestnut agouti and 2 are always rew.

IMG_7641.jpg

Actually you would get the same variations with any purebreds as well. Agouti(chestnut) is dominant over otter and self, so can carry those genes hidden. Rew is cc and can be hidden in a full colour rabbit.. and self (black) is recessive to all. Colour inheritance works the same whether the rabbit is a mutt or purebred. Even with a pedigree present on two rabbits of the same breed you can still find unexpected hidden genes and mods.

True, but isn't it an even more unexpected grab bag with mutts? I once had a NZW looking mutt and a broken brownish mutt, we got the most lovely sables and dilutes and it was a huge surprise.

I miss that sometimes, now that surprises are usually a "bad" yet predictable thing, like when a REW pops up in a NZR litter.

What adorable babies! :D

We get a lot of variation with our mutts, too, but we get the most variety from mating our broken chestnut mutt buck to our NZW (we think) doe.

Back