What a difference a day makes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey328

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I was so upset...went out to check on the bunnies and found 2 dead kits on the wire and a dead doe in the nest box. I truly don't know what happened...she hadn't pulled any fur. I was bummed and feeling guilty all day.

This morning, I find her sister in her nest box with a perfect storm of pulled fur and 3 live, sqirmy kits. I'm as elated today as I was dejected yesterday.

These were the first litters for all of us and I'm so hoping the 3 will make it...at least it'll be something salvaged and make the whole thing only half a disaster. I was actually prepared to lose some kits, but the loss of the doe was dreadful, she was just the sweetest thing...DH's and my favorite of the trio. I'm sure the heat had something to do with it...never again will I breed except in fall and late winter/early spring.

Do y'all think I should bring the nest box in for the day to keep it out of the heat?

If it is really hot, I will bring the kits inside during the hottest part of the day for the first two weeks.

if you remove 90% of the hair pulled during the day and put about 1/2-3/4 back at night (depending on the temps) the kits should do well.

Some rabbits are more sensitive than others, but I wouldn't think low 90s with low humidity would be that big a problem. I think something went wrong with her kindling... stuck kit, rupture of some sort, something like that which can result in a doe dying in the middle of kindling.

I'm so sorry you lost her, but glad the other doe is doing well.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! We did bring them during the hottest part of the day. They're back out with mama just now, and we put her in the run to lie in the cool grass (and nibble) and the shade. I finally got to pull back the fur and have a look...they're very squirmy, which I take to be a good sign!

Sorry for your loss Micky.
I know how hard it was for you to find you S/F. rabbits
I hope the 3 kits will grow out well and you will get a replacement doe from the bunch.

Latest posts

Back