wet eye, need advice please?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asinaway

Reaction score
I have owned rabbits for quite a few years now and consider myself pretty lucky in the health department, really have had no major things happen.

I noticed my best red MR show buck has a bit of a wet eye, just the one eye. ( I'll take pictures tomarrow with better light.) It's a little red around the eye, clear discharge, nothing snotty looking.

They have not had hay for several weeks, waiting on some new fresh hay from a neighbor. I do use pine shavings but that has never seemed to be an issue. No new rabbits, so i doubt a bad disease or at least I pray.

I will admitt in my new shed the ventalation is poor, hubby is supposed to be working on that this weekend.

I have a big show coming up thanksgiving weekend so I need to get the cleared up.

Any adivce?

I have hypoallergenic baby wipes? could i wipe his eye with that?

I dunno what to do, i'll be devastated if i cant take him, but i wont if this continues.

Is he squinting at all? It could be scratched. Non steroidal ophthalmic ointment may help.

You can rinse his eye with chamomile tea (or even black tea, but chamomile is better) or saline solution.

Asinaway":13vd5m20 said:
I will admit in my new shed the ventalation is poor

The ammonia levels may be bothering him. Can you move him to a well ventilated area for the day and see if it clears up?

I have a thread here and picture of my buck Snickers. He started with one eye like yours and then his other eye. I treated with Terramycin eye ointment and I did not think it was helping a lot. Seemed like he would be better, but not. I read about this and also found buck's are more prone to it. I noticed his eyes had a red look on the outside and when I treated his eyes he seemed to lean into it like his eyes itched and he scrated his eyes like an itch. I found a product on line, but it is at Petco. I did not want to wait for it to come, so I paid more at Petco. After treating one day his eyes lost most of the red look. The first eye dried up and then finally the second eye. I thought the second was healed and I quit treating and noticed it was still a litty weepy, so treated again and now both eyes seem dry. Here is what I got. Also, he is in a deep bed of hay and healed, so it was not hay that caused it.
vetericyn-eye.jpg

MSD I think you are right, I left the doors open all day because for once it was decent out and that seemed to help him a lot. Around his eye is not red, and i wipe it slightly with a baby wipe and rinse with some saline i had. So hopefully i can get this cleared up before the show.

garden lady- I looked up that stuff of their website. not a bad price but the closest one to me is an hour away. But If this dose not clear up i think it would be worth the trip.

Hubby put one window in so far, will put three more in tomarrow or monday. We can't keep the doors open all the time because we live kind of in the city, and there is a fear or raccons and cyotes.

My rabbit just had a weeping eye and first I tried washing his eye with black tea for a few days but it didn't stop the weeping so then I went to a pharmacy and bought over the counter antibacterial eyedrops for conjuctivitis called Brolene— and the watery eye cleared up. Also, I think sunshine helps. His cage is in the house and I put him outside in a run that has sun and shade- he chose to bask in the sun all day and I think the sun helped dry the tears off his fur and keep his eye dry.

Latest posts

Back