Wet dewlap :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bantambunnies

Reaction score
The water bottle for one of my does broke, so for the last couple of weeks she's been drinking out of a crock. I noticed that her dewlap was often wet, and some vague alarm bells were going off in my head because I remembered reading something about wet dewlap, but I didn't think much of it. I decided to watch for any strange symptoms.

So today, all of a sudden, she's got a big bald patch on her dewlap and it's crusty and flaking. She's kind of patchy all over from just kindling this past week, but this is really bald. So I just spent a long time looking it up all over RT and the internet in general. I understand that it's a fungus - ringworm/athlete's foot?

I'm planning to treat it with ACV or Blu-Kote (per your suggestions) and to spray ACV around her cage. And get her a working bottle. Anything else I should know?
My biggest question is: she's got 3 or 4 day-old bunnies in the nest. How can I keep them from getting it?
And should I be concerned about getting it myself?
I always wash my hands after coming in from the rabbits, but I have no idea how much I touched between her dewlap and washing my hands. I probably touched one of her kits and maybe other rabbits. <br /><br /> -- Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:08 pm -- <br /><br /> I sprayed her dewlap well with ACV, as well as her cage floor, her water bottle nozzle, her hayrack, and the front lip of the nestbox. I also sprayed the locks on all the cage doors, just in case.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that I DID handle at least one other rabbit after touching her crusty area. :wall: I guess I'd better be watching them, too. Should I worry about Mr. Free-ranging Bunny, who is always under this doe's hutch?

Washed my hands and face and changed my shirt (for the second time). Hoping that's enough.

I would try to keep from handling other bunnies before washing your hands for the next couple of days, but I think it's unlikely you'll see it transfer to other rabbits or to yourself. Especially since you changed and washed up. Keep an eye out, though.

Thanks! I made sure to feed her last today. Free-ranging Bunny didn't make it any easier by coming up and spraying on me while I was trying to put ACV on the doe's dewlap. -_-

bantambunnies":1964iyao said:
The water bottle for one of my does broke, so for the last couple of weeks she's been drinking out of a crock. I noticed that her dewlap was often wet, and some vague alarm bells were going off in my head because I remembered reading something about wet dewlap, but I didn't think much of it. I decided to watch for any strange symptoms.

So today, all of a sudden, she's got a big bald patch on her dewlap and it's crusty and flaking. She's kind of patchy all over from just kindling this past week, but this is really bald. So I just spent a long time looking it up all over RT and the internet in general. I understand that it's a fungus - ringworm/athlete's foot?

I'm planning to treat it with ACV or Blu-Kote (per your suggestions) and to spray ACV around her cage. And get her a working bottle. Anything else I should know?
My biggest question is: she's got 3 or 4 day-old bunnies in the nest. How can I keep them from getting it?
And should I be concerned about getting it myself?
I always wash my hands after coming in from the rabbits, but I have no idea how much I touched between her dewlap and washing my hands. I probably touched one of her kits and maybe other rabbits.

-- Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:08 pm --

I sprayed her dewlap well with ACV, as well as her cage floor, her water bottle nozzle, her hayrack, and the front lip of the nestbox. I also sprayed the locks on all the cage doors, just in case.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that I DID handle at least one other rabbit after touching her crusty area. :wall: I guess I'd better be watching them, too. Should I worry about Mr. Free-ranging Bunny, who is always under this doe's hutch?

Washed my hands and face and changed my shirt (for the second time). Hoping that's enough.

That is called "moist dermatitis" and it isn't a communicable illness. It should heal up fine, I used BluKote on one recently and it worked like a charm. Ugly, yes, but it works.

Thanks, OneAcreFarm! I'm hoping it's just that, but I'm being extra careful just in case.

Latest posts

Back