Went ahead and tried for another litter...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you may remember the litter I lost, well... a month ago now, due to cold weather and a poor nest? I thought long and hard about why I lost that litter and felt that it could have been avoided had I checked on her more consistently. I heard lots of people having litters at colder temps than we are having right now so I figured I would let her have one more shot. And with a little help from me in making sure they make it into the fur in the nest that they would have half a chance. I also took a few other extra steps to help her out. I lined the bottom of the nest box with cardboard with a few small holes poked in it, STUFFED the nest box with straw and after she spent the first day sitting in the nest box and using it as a litter box I added a bunch of extra straw to the corner of her cage for her to sit on instead of IN the nest box! Well it seems like I was able to pull it off. Yesterday was day 31 and with the last litter she pulled fur and then had the litter within the next few hours so I knew that when she started pulling fur babies would be close behind. I checked on her first thing when I got home from work but no progress. I checked on her throughout the night and at about 9:30 she was frantically pulling fur and stuffing it in the nest box. Then, by my 10:00 check she was in the box delivering and at about 10:20 she was out of the box so I got a good look/feel. There were a few babies in a bit fur in the back that were warm and then four up front on the bare straw that were getting cold. One was already dead and after warming it was still dead. Cleaned out the nest a bit and put the others that were still moving into the fur with the warm babies and fluffed a few handfuls of cotton balls and "tucked" them all in hoping for the best...

... AND I had a nest full of warm wriggly popples this morning! :cheer1:

AND I just realized I have my first twirly star!! :p

Can't believe its already been a year since I started on this bunny journey... I'm am having so much fun with them and you all have given me SO much knowledge I can have more confidence in myself and helping my buns! :bunnyhop:

They're adorable! :p Congratulations!!! :mbounce:

And congrats on the twirly star! :D

Hopefully, the doe will need less help from you as time goes on. :)

Miss M":2vdh29eo said:
Hopefully, the doe will need less help from you as time goes on. :)
I hope so too! Her first successful litter she handled no problem, but it was this summer. She is not the best at delivering them in the warm fur so I will just have to keep an eye on her when she delivers and it's cold out ;)

Well, at least you know when she needs more attention now. Looks like she had a really good-sized litter for you! :)

By the way, I still love your avatar. :D

It's really nice that she waits till RIGHT before kindling to pull fur so I know when to start watching closely ;) Her first litter was seven and the one she lost was eight. So I'm pretty impressed so far :) this was a new buck and his very first litter. I'm excited to see how these grow out :D

Back